Gibson Brands Forums

Bridge Pin Material Question.

Andre S

You have plastic bridge pins? And you haven't burned your guitar in disgust yet?

I believe its plastic...its a Martin OM-1 one of their new models from 2009...it is all solid wood except for the neck... a more budget model because I don't really play acoustic.

I actually was going to buy a Gibson CJ-165 but the day before I was prepared to buy the run finished...

So upgrade it then?

What about the saddle? its tusq, should I upgrade that yet?

Adding Bob Colosi pins will make it sound like the voice of an angel itself. If you go for Walrus Ivory or West African Hard Ivory pins, well, upon hearing your guitar for the first time you'll probably ascend into a joyful state of enchanted bliss and become a being made of pure light and sound waves, spreading joy and peace throughout the galaxy.

I kid, obviously. You'll find people take their bridge pins pretty seriously here. Sometimes too seriously.

I have Colosi or Warther pins on all my guitars. I think they help a tiny bit. Changing out the saddle will have the biggest effect. Then probably nut, then bridge pins. People like to swap out bridge pins because it's fun and easy; gives you a feeling you've done something to improve your beloved guitar. And it does improve it - slightly to imperceptably.

You'll find the biggest improvement on a crappy guitar. I mean, if you spent $3000 on a nice piece, changing those pins is not going to make a huge difference.

Some people like wood pins, some bone, some even prefer Tusq. But like I said, not gonna make a huge difference. If you want to adjust the tone, experiment with different saddles.

Adding Bob Colosi pins will make it sound like the voice of an angel itself. If you go for Walrus Ivory or West African Hard Ivory pins' date=' well, upon hearing your guitar for the first time you'll probably ascend into a joyful state of enchanted bliss and become a being made of pure light and sound waves, spreading joy and peace throughout the galaxy.

I kid, obviously. You'll find people take their bridge pins pretty seriously here. Sometimes too seriously.

I have Colosi or Warther pins on all my guitars. I think they help a tiny bit. Changing out the saddle will have the biggest effect. Then probably nut, then bridge pins. People like to swap out bridge pins because it's fun and easy; gives you a feeling you've done something to improve your beloved guitar. And it does improve it - slightly to imperceptably.

You'll find the biggest improvement on a crappy guitar. I mean, if you spent $3000 on a nice piece, changing those pins is not going to make a huge difference.

Some people like wood pins, some bone, some even prefer Tusq. But like I said, not gonna make a huge difference. If you want to adjust the tone, experiment with different saddles.[/quote']

I'll try the stewmac bone pins and saddle

Yeah but then when the song's over they fall out.

BWAAAAHAAAAA!! (bodda-boom!) Killer, ks.....just killer!

Pins make a difference tonaly? Perhaps on some guitars, but as a general rule they are the last thing to effect a guitar's overall tone. But some of the upgrade materials sure can improve the looks of a guitar!

Change "em Mate Its nice to put real ebony or some kind of " hard" bone on, there are several different desingns and i reckon the harder the bone the crisper the tone ebony being softer ,a softer tone ,try a few if you can afford to They Make a nice visual change to your guitar too.I change my bridge saddles to bone too "Different hights for different actions / strings etc. enjoy!

I actually was going to buy a Gibson CJ-165 but the day before I was prepared to buy the run finished...

Just for future reference, if you want a CJ-165, any dealer can call Bozeman and order you one.

-- Bob R

Just for future reference' date=' if you want a CJ-165, any dealer can call Bozeman and order you one.

-- Bob R

[/quote']

weird....it was one for 1400 if you remember that model...

I emailed a CS rep and he said it would be pricey to re release the specific one...I believe it was the rosewood model

Archived