Gibson Brands Forums

J-45 colors

Gibson CS

After looking at the specs, the only real difference I see between these and the J-45 True Vintage is that the "special edition" has a red spruce top. If that's the case, I'm guessing it will physically look much like the J-45 True Vintage model.

Here's what mine looks like. I'm still trying to figure out what the heck it is...

(The lable says it's a J45 HSC. There serial number is 02275031)

Are you sure it doesn't say "HCS" -- which would stand for "Heritage Cherry Sunburst", which is one way that particular finish is referenced.

In any case, this 'faded cherryburst' finish has been phased in over a number of years at Bozeman. I first saw it on a few runs of J-45s back about 6-7 years ago, and it's become more and more used on various models over the years.

Fred

Anybody know if this J-45 has the Honey Burst finish?

It sure looks like it. It's just a "dark" shot' date=' I think.

For comparison, here's my honeyburst SJ:

[img']http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e340/shrimer/IMGP5439.jpg[/img]

And the same finish, different guitar, more intense lighting, and perched atop Gilliangirl's lap:

IMGP1286.jpg

It's taken on a bit more of an amber glow, but then, so would I, given that situation. :-)

While the finish does vary somewhat, I think the pic at the top illustrates a guitar with the honeyburst finish.

Fred

It sure looks like it. It's just a "dark" shot' date=' I think.

For comparison, here's my honeyburst SJ:

[img']http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e340/shrimer/IMGP5439.jpg[/img]

And the same finish, different guitar, more intense lighting, and perched atop Gilliangirl's lap:

IMGP1286.jpg

It's taken on a bit more of an amber glow, but then, so would I, given that situation. :-)

While the finish does vary somewhat, I think the pic at the top illustrates a guitar with the honeyburst finish.

Fred

Thanks for the response, Fred. The Honey Burst "shore is purdy." The SJ looks great in it.

I hear ya on the amber glow. lol

Archived