Gibson Brands Forums

339 Questions

Silenced Fred

So, since quite a few people have them, and have had them for a while, how are they?

I figure they would be top notch, still thinking about getting one and an Epi Sheraton- mod the hell out of the Sherry...

Just wondering how they hold up and everything.

Good on ya

well I've been fortunate enough to own quite a few different guitars and still do and even though I've only had my 339 a few months it's the one I pick up most often. The workmanship is excellent very clean inside and out the finish is flawless, the tone is great from sweet to grunge and every thing in between I'am very happy with it ! if your thinking about it I don't think you could go wrong with your choice.

Picture005-1.jpg

Had mine about a year now, and it's a keeper, that's for sure. Since I'd set it up properly, it's been solid as a rock, and I've gigged it in lots of different situations, from jazz to rock. Along with my ES175, and PRS equipped with Bareknuckle P90's, I reckon I have every guitar I could ever need.

I got mine in Sept. '08 and it's done hundreds of live gigs. The nitro is getting a bit hazy where the right forearm lays, lot's of sweat, it's done many outdoor summer gigs.

No major nicks yet, I'm very carefull and bought a Studio Les Paul for "less than perfect" gigs.

It's still my favorite electric, bar none.

So' date=' since quite a few people have them, and have had them for a while, how are they?

I figure they would be top notch, still thinking about getting one and an Epi Sheraton- mod the hell out of the Sherry...

Just wondering how they hold up and everything.

Good on ya[/quote']

If my idea for a SG standard falls through....I'll know by Friday, I'll be in the same boat as you, Fred...the fully bound and finished 335's are too freaking expensive.

Mind if I add my own 339 questions? if I could think of any?

Yikes....I'm just thinking of the big difference between the stock 339 and the RS Electronics upgraded LP!

I think changing those pots might be too hard...

No modding....by God how will I survive withou something to mod....

If my idea for a SG standard falls through....I'll know by Friday' date=' I'll be in the same boat as you, Fred...the fully bound and finished 335's are too freaking expensive.

Mind if I add my own 339 questions? if I could think of any?[/quote']

Go right ahead. I like the 339 totally different beast, and I want a 335 for more jazz/blues stuff, I want to put a Jazz pickup in the neck for mellow sounds, and maybe something a little heavier in the bridge, maybe a Pearly Gates...

I like the 339 though, great guitars, and I was just wondering since it was a new product and all, that if anyone had issues with it, maybe I could know something you have to watch out for. Murph likes it, uses it a ton, sounds good to me :-k

If my idea for a SG standard falls through....I'll know by Friday' date=' I'll be in the same boat as you, Fred...the fully bound and finished 335's are too freaking expensive.

Mind if I add my own 339 questions? if I could think of any?[/quote']

Go right ahead. I like the 339 totally different beast, and I want a 335 for more jazz/blues stuff, I want to put a Jazz pickup in the neck for mellow sounds, and maybe something a little heavier in the bridge, maybe a Pearly Gates...

I like the 339 though, great guitars, and I was just wondering since it was a new product and all, that if anyone had issues with it, maybe I could know something you have to watch out for. Murph likes it, uses it a ton, sounds good to me :-k

Go right ahead. I like the 339 totally different beast' date=' and I want a 335 for more jazz/blues stuff, I want to put a Jazz pickup in the neck for mellow sounds, and maybe something a little heavier in the bridge, maybe a Pearly Gates...

I like the 339 though, great guitars, and I was just wondering since it was a new product and all, that if anyone had issues with it, maybe I could know something you have to watch out for. Murph likes it, uses it a ton, sounds good to me :-k [/quote']

Its like 2 years old right? Relatively new...

There is one thing I picked up,

On some models people have noted that the fretboard doesn't sit flush on the body there is usually a bit of wood between the fretboard and the body, like on the jazz guitars. This varies guitar to guitar apparently but I believe it was said that it is more common on the fat neck model...

Of course this is probably due to ____________ but they said that the models where the fretboard was flush felt tighter and more together.

Its like 2 years old right? Relatively new...

There is one thing I picked up' date='

On some models people have noted that the fretboard doesn't sit flush on the body there is usually a bit of wood between the fretboard and the body, like on the jazz guitars. This varies guitar to guitar apparently but I believe it was said that it is more common on the fat neck model...

Of course this is probably due to ____________ but they said that the models where the fretboard was flush felt tighter and more together.[/quote']

I'll have to watch for that. I would get the 60s neck with a Vintage burst body [drool]

They all look so nice though, but I want to get that, a Trad Pro, and then a telecaster

I'll have to watch for that. I would get the 60s neck with a Vintage burst body [drool]

They all look so nice though' date=' but I want to get that, a Trad Pro, and then a telecaster[/quote']

Same here....except the tele........I was considering the 50's neck but I think I would try the slimmer neck....

I have had mine since they came out. Not sure a few years or 2. I like mine, to me the neck sucked, the feel so I took a flap wheel to it. Better now. Did that about 2 weeks after I got it. I do it to most of mt gtrs. The ES 339 is to Gibson what the Strat is to Fender. A very versatille gtr. Lighter in weight than my paul and nice to play. 60's slim neck althought different than I thought, almost seems wider. Still very nice . Was playing iy before I got to the posts. 57 's classics, nice looks, vintage sunburst. All good

'07 was the first year, mines an '07.

I've never heard of the fretboard/neck issue, mine is PERFECT.

Rocketman has a figured one, and Bobv (wherever he went) has a real nice red one.

'07 was the first year' date=' mines an '07.

Rocketman has a figured one, and Bobv (wherever he went) has a real nice red one.[/quote']

Glad to hear it. By the end of the summer, I should have one in my hands [blink]

Gotta buy an acoustic, and maybe a couple of pedals, but I want the 339 bad [drool]

'07 was the first year' date=' mines an '07.

Rocketman has a figured one, and Bobv (wherever he went) has a real nice red one.[/quote']

I think guitarjunkie has one as well.

I think guitarjunkie has one as well.

Guitarjunkie helped influence me. I was real close to an R8, but don't like those fat necks, and I gigged a '72 Les Paul for 14/15 years and wanted something different.

Guitarjunkie helped influence me. I was real close to an R8' date=' but don't like those fat necks, and I gigged a '72 Les Paul for 14/15 years and wanted something different.

[/quote']

Semi hollowbodies have really grown on me. It's a completely different beast, and getting to play around with feedback is badass

It is a great different sound, changes stuff up

Archived