Gibson Brands Forums

Motor Cycle Helmets

Californiaman

The cops were traveling down the highway at around 1 o'clock in the morning near Tulsa, Oklahoma. They found this on the road.

Snapshot2010-05-1110-43-43.jpg

Another patrol car stopped a truck some miles down the highway and were struck with the following image.

Snapshot2010-05-1110-45-55.jpg

The Truck Driver said he thought he felt the impact, but down the road he thought he'd better pull over and check out his rig.

Snapshot2010-05-1110-46-32.jpg

Notice the driver has no shoes on from the impact or from being dragged all that distance. Ouch!

Snapshot2010-05-1110-47-08.jpg

Side view of Motorcycle Driver caught up in the trailer of the Semi.

Snapshot2010-05-1110-47-46.jpg

Witnesses and State Police say the Motorcyclist was traveling at 120 mph when he ran into the back of the moving semi-truck.

It pays to have a good quality helmet when riding a motorcycle.

Now for the rest of the story!

THIS GUY SURVIVED.

It would appear he got a busted lip out of the deal.

He probably won't have to trim his toe nails for a month or two.

What the heck kind of jacket is that? Space suit? Star Wars storm trooper?

THIS GUY SURVIVED.

CM, I saw these pics last year.

I don't think that guy lived.

It got my attention because I nearly did the same thing in 1986.

Wee hours of the morning.

Drunk, and sleepy, on my Honda V-65.

Running triple-digit speeds north on Hwy 83 going to my home in Garden City, Kansas.

As I would doze off and lean forward, I would open the throttle even more.

I would snap awake, and slow down to around 80, then doze off again ever so slightly.

Did this maybe half a dozen times - up to 130-140 each time.

Something shiny on the road ahead caught my eye....

I jerked wide awake, slammed on the brakes, and of course my headlight is now pointing at the ground.

A shiny aluminum fuel truck came into view as I was skidding and wobbling to get slowed down.

I came within 20 feet of that truck cruising at a sedate (and legal) 55 mph.

I followed that truck for the next ten miles into town, and was scared sh!tless when I got home.

Still drunk, but damned sure wide awake.

Never again.

CM' date=' I saw these pics last year.

I don't think that guy lived.

It got my attention because I nearly did the same thing in 1986.

Wee hours of the morning.

Drunk, and sleepy, on my Honda V-65.

Running triple-digit speeds north on Hwy 83 going to my home in Garden City, Kansas.

As I would doze off and lean forward, I would open the throttle even more.

I would snap awake, and slow down to around 80, then doze off again ever so slightly.

Did this maybe half a dozen times - up to 130-140 each time.

Something shiny on the road ahead caught my eye....

I jerked wide awake, slammed on the brakes, and of course my headlight is now pointing at the ground.

A shiny aluminum fuel truck came into view as I was skidding and wobbling to get slowed down.

I came within 20 feet of that truck cruising at a sedate (and legal) 55 mph.

I followed that truck for the next ten miles into town, and was scared sh!tless when I got home.

Still drunk, but damned sure wide awake.

Never again.[/quote']

Oh man.....There, but for the grace of God.......

Yeah, and I was a crane operator/occasional iron-worker by day.

Drink like a fish, hungover 200 feet in the air, working crazy on-call hours in all weather.

Street racing cars and bikes, drag racing, shooting, boinking married women, multiple girlfriends/different towns.

That bike thing pretty much woke me up.

I had several near misses on bikes, lost a couple friends to bikes and cars.

But that spring morning made something click so I made two changes in my life.

1. Stopped drinking, or reduced my intake by 98%.

2. Started going home and going to bed. Amazing what regular sleep does for your logic and reasoning ability.

Made me realize that somebody is indeed watching after me.

I'm not kidding when I say I'm a believer - cuz I know I ain't that lucky, and damned sure ain't that smart.

Yeah' date=' and I was a crane operator/occasional iron-worker by day.

Drink like a fish, hungover 200 feet in the air, working crazy on-call hours in all weather.

[/quote']

My uncle was an iron worker.... I never knew him to be sober.... he finally fell, (4 stories, I think), when he was almost 65. He never worked again, but he lived like another 20 years!

Hah!

I thought I was tough.

Now that I'm in my forties, I look back on those "old" guys in their forties then.

They lived harder, worked harder, drank harder than I ever could have then at 21.

Something to be said for that iron-headed/iron-assed way of living.

Eat nothing but fried sh!t, live on coffee and booze, smoke like a chimney, sleep 4 hours a night....

this is a crazy looking series !! I rode bikes for over 20 years too, was my main transportation for many years, I too have some crazy near miss stories, its amazing I am still around !! Now, my son wants a motorcycle,, seems hipocritical of me to say NO, but thats what I find myself saying, its not necessarily him or the bike as much as it is the other A holes out there that I worry about

this is a crazy looking series !! I rode bikes for over 20 years too' date=' was my main transportation for many years, I too have some crazy near miss stories, its amazing I am still around !! Now, my son wants a motorcycle,, seems hipocritical of me to say NO, but thats what I find myself saying, its not necessarily him or the bike as much as it is the other A holes out there that I worry about[/quote']

When I rode I was sure the jerks out there in their cars tried to hit me. I think they were angry because I obviously was havig more fun than them.

Dad was a Harley dealer in the '50s. He became a major proponent of hard hats - although well after he got a concussion out of his first excursion on a 74 into the side of a blue Buick. (I got to watch. I remembered the sight. He didn't.)

He was riding home from work when he hit a German Shepherd. Slud about half a block. Was wearing WWII Air Corps sheepskin leathers and a hard hat. The leathers were well scraped. The hard hat reeeeeally scraped into where you'd not wear it again. He was beaten up nicely but no real damage.

My little brother - who turns 60 this year - got into the "ride through the woods" stuff in competition. Always wore full leathers, hat and what looked to me like body armor.

I have a bike license but haven't ridden in years and I'm not all that good at it. I always wore a hat.

But cars can be the same. I'll never forget the time I flew a Chevy Vega maybe 100 yards plus or minus. Talk about luck... and shakey knees when I got it stopped and decided to walk around a while... BTW, I was stone cold sober, but had been working some reeeeally long weeks at the time and it was late at night.

Funny thing: Dad always said the hat would be a lot better than seat belts in cars, and that some day they'd require both. Nobody knew about air bags at the time.

m

Archived