Gibson Brands Forums

How do I know what year my J45 is?

89vette

Guest rogerb

Hello 89vette, If you will provide us with the serial number from your J-45 we will be happy to check our data base for information. You can email us at service@gibson.com or call 1-800-444-2766 x 1.

Hello 89vette' date=' If you will provide us with the serial number from your J-45 we will be happy to check our data base for information. You can email us at service@gibson.com or call 1-800-444-2766 x 1.[/quote']

[biggrin]

Since 1977 the first and fifth digit will tell you the year. Just punch in your number here:

http://www.guitardaterproject.org/gibson.aspx

I knew my guitar was made on the 70th day of 1998' date=' but that website tells me it was built on "March 11st, 1998."

Well, at least it wasn't built on March 32nd. Or rather March [i']32st[/i].

It also says it was built at the "Bozeman Plant, MA, USA." Funny, I thought Bozeman was in Montana ("MT"), but I guess it has been relocated to Massachusetts ("MA").

I always thought my J-45 had a Brahmin accent....

• Like 1

i hate to say it, but that website is worthless. people keep turning to it but it simply runs a very basic program to pull out numbers. vintage guitars and reissues never come up right, and it tells you nothing of whether it is fake or not. it assumes everything checks out. a quick call to Gibson customer service is much more productive, and will give better info.... as well as more info. heck, they can tell you what dealer they originally shipped it to.

• 9 years later...

I have a Gibson J45 standard with serial number 10750043 I wonder if someone can trace the year of manufacture etc.  The top is in a natural finish with (looks like) mahogany back and sides. There is a under bridge pickup with a single in sound hole volume control.

I would very much appreciate any info on it.

41 minutes ago, Fred Norman said:

I have a Gibson J45 standard with serial number 10750043 I wonder if someone can trace the year of manufacture etc.  The top is in a natural finish with (looks like) mahogany back and sides. There is a under bridge pickup with a single in sound hole volume control.

I would very much appreciate any info on it.

Made in mid-March, 2010.

It sounds like a "J-45 Natural", which most of us call a J-50, which was the historical designation for the natural-topped J-45.

• 3 years later...
  • 5 months later...
On 5/21/2010 at 2:02 AM, ksdaddy said:

Since 1977 the first and fifth digit will tell you the year. Just punch in your number here:

http://www.guitardaterproject.org/gibson.aspx

Not so fast young Padawan. Here is how Gibson pulled another fast one for a few years and changed it up to confuse again.  If he has a guitar built in 2000. It should follow the first and fifth number being the year again. But with Gibson its anyone's guess.

Gibson USA 2014 - Mid 2019

These serial numbers cannot be dated to a specific day of the year.

The new model year typically launches in the fall as the current model year winds down. It is not uncommon for a new model year model to be produced during the previous model year (example – a 2015 model may have been built in late 2014).

The pattern is as follows:
YYRRRRRRR
YY is the model year
RRRRRRR is the number in product for the model year (starts at 0000001)

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

When ever I sold a guitar I only listed the year it was made, No over ever asked what day the guitar was stamped. And that is all, it got stamped that day. The guitar was not finished that day and shipped out, it had more stations to go to before shipping.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

14 hours ago, shellann said:

I have a J-45 standard gibson acoustic I think it's a sunburst model number is 

Can you tell me what year it is please 

Short answer, 2019 (the first  “1” and the fifth number: “9” and it was the 19th guitar made on the  225th day of the year. If  that clears the Gibson dating mud a bit for you.  Enjoy!