Gibson Brands Forums

Are J45 TV's ridiculously loud?

MapleManiac

I actually don't like acoustics that are too loud--hard to sing with them around the ol' apartment without a mic.

When I began playing Martin dreads I had to bellow like a moose to be heard --- until someone pointed out the right hand was a built in volume control knob...

Some spend their lives playing quiet quitars --- others improve their right (picking hand) terchnique...

Choose wisely...

Why did they edit ridi****usly? When did that become a dirty word?

That's happened to me before and I wondered why . . . maybe it's rude in some other language? Can't think of any other possible reason.

When I began playing Martin dreads I had to bellow like a moose to be heard --- until someone pointed out the right hand was a built in volume control knob...

Some spend their lives playing quiet quitars --- others improve their right (picking hand) terchnique...

Choose wisely...

I know. I have learned to not bash my guitar like I used to. I listened to myself and realized I sang worse and made my guitar sound harsh and metallic when I was hitting it too hard.

Then I go to bars and listen to cover bands and realize this is an epidemic..................

Then I go to bars and listen to cover bands and realize this is an epidemic..................

Guilty. I think it's the adrenaline. When I see masters like Paul Simon or Neil Young play on talk shows there's always this odd mix of racing heart and focused stillness that kind of creeps me out but that's what you have to achieve I guess to marry the excitement with the requirements of volume management.

I think the J-45 TVs are not forward shifted in the bracing (could be wrong there). It's that bracing pattern that tends to make so many Martins loud, but then it's easy to tip into muddiness. I've played quite a few J-45 TVs and the answer is (that you'll hate)... They're all a little different. Some louder, some not, some more balanced, some drier, some chimeyer... To give a fair answer though, I think if they had a volume control that went to ten you wouldn't notice any difference after you got to seven or eight, depending.

Good luck.

Archived