Gibson Brands Forums

Is this a Gibson?

lp2nat

I recently purchased this and was curious if this is really a Gibson,I can see the outline of where the pickguard use to be and also the tuners have been replaced.It appears the headstock has been painted .guitar016.jpgguitar011-1.jpgguitar015.jpgguitar014.jpg

The adjustable saddle appears to be consistent with Gibson adjustables.

I'd get a sharp knife and try to peel off the black paint. You won't hurt it any more than it already is. You may reveal a label, or part of one. You can always repaint it... just do a better job than the last guy did.

I would like to restore to playing condition.I want to replace the tuners with similar originals,and somehow remove the paint fron headstock and hopefully find the Gibson logo underneath.

Has anyone ever shipped a guitar to Gibson and would you think it would be worth it to have this semi restored such as neck work and bridgework.?

From the prices I've seen' date=' unless you have sentimental attachment or it's some famous instrument, it's not worth going to Gibson. Take it to someone local, the bridge and neck will be a fraction of Gibson's price.[/quote']

+1

Aren't those tuners already OEM?

Might be just me, but anyone who would slather that much brush on black paint upon a perfectly good Gibson wouldn't have the forethought to even realize he could replace tuners, let alone consider it.

There not the original tuners,on the back of the headstock I can seen where it had 3 on a strip tuners.

I want to replace them with original style,but only thing I can find to replace is Kluson tuners but reviews I been reading are mixed.

Any suggestions?

Archived