Gibson Brands Forums

Mixing Speakers

jrsdws

I scored a Mesa 4x12 slant cab off CL on the cheap with one caveat....only 2 speakers...Vintage 30's. The cab is in great shape and I got it for just $200.

What speakers would you finish it with? More V30's or maybe a pair of the G12H30's to warm it up a bit?

Open for suggestions and all brands considered.

EDIT: I should have added the following: Amps used: Custom Built JCM 800 clone 50w, Custom Built JTM 45 Clone 30w, Sovtek Mig 60.

Music played: Classic Rock mainly

I don't like mixing speakers. If your cabinet is being mic'ed through a PA, you're going to feel compelled to mic up one of each kind rather than mic only one which means another channel is being used and, if not done properly, you might need to play around with placement if you get any phasing issues. Just not worth the hassle, IMO, unless you're not planning on ever micing the amp.

That is a nice score.

Personally I love the sound of my Mesa cab and its Shadow C-90 speaker. I preferred it over the Vintage 30.

Another option you have is to complete your cab with Hellatone speakers, some of which are Vintage 30's already broken in and at a lower price. Avatar Cabs sells them I believe.

EDIT: Here is the link Celestion - Hellatone Speakers

Look at the Hellatone 60 and 60L

Man i'm dumb....i couldn't understand the thread at first....I read it as "Mixing Speakers" - I.E. What speakers do you use when you mix your music...hehehe...

None of the replies made any sense to me....now I get it. Back to sleep I go. [biggrin]

Man i'm dumb....i couldn't understand the thread at first....I read it as "Mixing Speakers" - I.E. What speakers do you use when you mix your music...hehehe...

None of the replies made any sense to me....now I get it. Back to sleep I go. :)

Youre from Toronto...we understand. [biggrin]

So am I !! shhhh!

the original speakers you have are good for classic rock but you can't go wrong with the G12H30's either.

Perhaps check out the Eminence line as they are a little cheaper.

Personally, when I think of mixing speakers I think it is more beneficial to mix a 10" with a 12" or an 8 and 12 together.

I don't understand the love for the Vintage 30, it's sounds way harsh to me.

I pulled them out of my MESA cab as soon as I heard them. Replaced them with EVM12L's.

Worth the money.

For Celestions, the best sounding to me were the G12-65's but the G12T-75 isn't bad for an all-around speaker.

Warehouse Speakers makes a clone of the GT-65 called the ET65 and they are only like $69 as opposed to the Celestion reissue price.

http://warehousespeakers.com/proddetail.php?prod=ET65

I don't understand the love for the Vintage 30' date=' it's sounds way harsh to me.[/quote']

Same here, I tried some vintage 30's once and couldn't get a sound I liked out of them. I like Greenbacks because of the warm smooth tones I can get out of them.

I'm liking the prices of the Warehouse Speaker units. I'm not opposed at all to running all of the same speaker in her either...I just find the V30's a little brash on their own (yet see no reason to toss them) and would like a little more bottom end....it looks like the ET65 would fill the bill and the budget.

Does anybody have any experience with the Warehouse Speakers stuff? Good or bad reviews to share?

Archived