Gibson Brands Forums

CHICAGO GUITAR SHOW TOMORROW!!!!!

sycephant

Anybody making the trip to the big Chicago Guitar Show in Saint Charles tomorrow? It would be cool to meet people on here who I talk to. I'm going to be getting a new Bigsby for my Epi LP.....and probably a lot of "STUFF". I love stuff. Anybody else love STUFF?

Let us know how it was and take pics. I will be attending daughters graduation at NIU today.

Let's see college is paid for, does that mean more money for guitars and amps. Wait, she wants to go to grad school to get her masters. Guess I'll have to wait a couple fo more years ](*,)

I guess it depedes on what your looking for. I saw some true custom stuff that was amazing. lots of stuff , Shirts hats and of

course DE-Strings. The price goes up every year for admission now its $12.00

If you have the time GO

All I bought were some pics I really wanted a Fequancator but at $44.00 I COULD GET ONE FOR $20 online

Terrible!! Overpriced vintage guitars and that's pretty much it. Keep the $12 and buy some strings anywhere else. I was going to get a Bigsby and they were there but when I asked how much, the guy said, "Well, the retail for $199"...........Silence....."OH! That's the price!?" I said. $200 for a ******* Bigsby.!? Ridiculous. Lots of old LP's and Strats and WAY overpriced "vintage" parts. It's more fun (and cheaper) to go on Ebay.

I hung around the parts area looking for stuff for about 15 minuites in that time

2 european guys and 1 older guy were ripped off in their change amount.

I don't know how they can charge over retail and do it all for cash only.

For the $12 for admission they should give you the official Texas GS t-shirt

The more I think about the show the more I agree with Sycehant and it will

be my last.

One more thing ,I think the color coated DE strings suck. I put some blue ones

on my Whale Blue PRS and it played and sounded horrible. I think it took about 2

hours of playing and the coating came off. When I asked the DE lady about it she

said the color is not able to stay on when its PLAYED. WTF

Hey folks--

I added my review last night in the Hollowbody section. I didn't see that there was a separate thread here. Here's the link: Guitar Show Thread (look near the end of the page).

I had the same experience. When I first walked in, I was very excited, but the longer that I was there, the more bummed out I became: I really need a good guitar show now that I am serious about playing again.

Do any of you know what became of the Great Midwestern Guitar Show? That was a fantastic guitar show. I saw it in the Milwaukee area back in the mid-'90s, and I think it moved to St. Louis permanently after originally moving around a lot. Now, it seems just to be gone completely. Is the Internet killing these shows?

There is a smaller show that I've heard of in Southern Illinois in Ina. Anyone know anything about that one? I really would like to see a good show this summer.

On the plus side, I'm going to go into the city this week to see Schroeder Amps and Make'n Music. I need my little '60s Fender practice amp tuned up for the summer, and I figure, why not check out Make'n Music (which I believe is next door)? That might almost be a guitar show in and of itself.

And hey, for those of you in the Chicago area, Naperville Music is making a push to expand its upper-end guitar line. There are a lot more Gibsons in the shop, and they are hoping to now expand to have a complete room of high-end electrics, and another one of high-end acoustics. I think they have made a conscious decision to fight back against Guitar Center. Don't go now necessarily, but in a few months, check out Naperville Music: they might have some good new stuff down the road. No financial interest on my part: I just like their service, and I have a fantastic teacher there.

Ignatius

Naperville ha. My "X" BICH Old ladys out there. Naperville is real nice, a lot of money out that way and some of the highest property taxes in the u.s. The only thing that comes close is some L.A. coast line property. Naperville has a higher population than chicago, your guy should do well.

Naperville has a higher population than chicago' date=' your guy should do well.[/quote']

Whoa, cudamax--

I'm not sure where you're getting your information, but the population of Naperville as of last year was 141,579, while the population of Chicago was 2,842,518. Chicago's population is roughly twenty times LARGER than Naperville's.

Also, Naperville Music has been there for thirty-four years. I just wanted to note that they are expanding because some of the folks here haven't seen it in a while. It's a sleepy store at first glance, but I think it is heading toward becoming a real deal music place down the road. Naperville, by the way, is also home to the Victoria Amp Co., and I am definitely wanting to know more about those amps. They look and sound beautiful!

Yeah, Naperville is too rich for my blood, but there does seem to be a healthy music scene slowing developing out there, at least in terms of equipment. It still has a cheaper cost of living than Kenilworth or Chicago's gold coast so those property taxes are balanced by some pluses, and once the new sales tax goes into effect in Chicago (10% sales tax folks!), then these outer suburban stores will definitely be the places to shop for equipment. I cannot imagine paying a 10% sales tax on a guitar: that's an extra $100 on every $1000 you spend! O:)

Ignatius

I'm not sure. I was just talking with an old buddie the other day can't really remember, I think he might of been speaking of a certain area of chicago vs. naperville. What to you expect from an old burn-out, man. Anyways they do have the best schools for the kids, Years back I remember the high school's were real high tech and a lot of the property tax money does go for the kids schools, i.e. new buildings/high saleries/high tech programs and equipment and are better than most in the counrty.

Archived