Gibson Brands Forums

Vintage Funky 1960's Ibanez Electric - "In Da House!"

Taylor Player

[biggrin] :- [biggrin]

New Craigslist trade score!!! It is likely a 1962 (Still working on nailing that down) Ibanez made Goldentone model #2104. It features four single coil pickups, each with it's own on/off switch and some sort of switch that seems to add more bass and gain to each pickup? (Again, still working on nailing that down!) [biggrin]

It has a solid piece of wood beautiful Mahogany body that has been somewhat, but not totally beat over the last 45-48 years or so but as a nod to Ibanez, has held up remarkably well.

I got it from a guy in trade for my Roland AC-60 acoustic amp. Traded me the guitar and a great distortion/overdrive pedal, an Xotic AC Plus pedal!!! He is a local musician that is scheduled to be inducted into the Minnesota Music Hall of Fame with the local band he played guitar in for many years. He is also the head repair guy/luthier for a guitar store here known for dealing in Vintage guitars. Every major band that comes through town knows him as the "Go to" guy if they need repairs, adjustments or if they are looking for cool vintage gear. Apparentlly he had taken in this guitar for repair many years ago and the owner never came back to pay or claim the guitar. He had used it in his band for some recording projects as well as on another local artists 4th album. (He was touring in a different band at that time).

Anyway, it is the most fun electric guitar I have ever played. He put new tuners and a new bridge on it since the originals were missing when he got it. This will not likely ever be considered "Collectable" in it's current form, but over time and with some luck, I may be able to find some oriignal tuners and a whammy bar that is also missing. It plays like a dream!!! All electronics are original and functioning perfectly with no scratchy pots or switches and the input jack looks to be indestructable. Also notice the "Zero Fret"......

Here for your comments/approval/rejection (it is pretty ugly, but in a very COOL way) is my newest addition!

100_0675.jpg

Goldentone1.jpg

100_0711.jpg

100_0712.jpg

100_0700.jpg

100_0709.jpg

100_0687.jpg

100_0682.jpg

100_0690.jpg

Nice score, looks to be a whole lotta fun.

Kind of reminds me of what was being marketed around here in the 60's as a "Teisco" brand guitar. They always had lots of pickups, knobs and switches.

Lordy that thing looks like a Baldwin. I love the 1960s Made in Japan electric guitars. If there was a pickup hall of fame I would nominate the Teisco Gold Foil to sit right up the with the PAF humbucker, Leo's single coils, and the DeArmond Dynasonic. We will never see that kind of bolt neck, el funky cool again. Very, very nice score.

I really love the pickups in this. I know nothing about what they are or anything, but they each have a very distinct tone when switched on by itself. Where it really gets fun is combining different ones. I think my current favorite is the two middle pickups with the neck having slightly more volume than the bridge..... SWEEEEEEEET!!!

Bumping this to see if any of you guys/gals out there have any idea where I could find a replacement Whammy bar for this. In reality, I found a "Bigsby" bar online for $24.00 that looks like it would work, but I am not sure if the hole is the right size for the bolt that is in my trem. I could probably modify one if I got it and it didn't work, but just in case any of you... (Hint KSDaddy!!) have a clue where to start looking I would appreciate it.

It looks like any flat arm will work. You'll just need to go hit the hardware store for the screw, a couple nylon washers, and a plastic insert locknut. You'll want the locknut because otherwise it will keep loosening up on you, and the nylon washers so you can tighten the nut enough to keep it in one place but still be able to swing it out of the way if you want (the arm will swing nicely on the nylon).

I don't know if I have any flat arms in my junk box but I'll look tonight.

I appreciate the effort KSD!

I have so many old bolts, washers (plastic and metal) and other stuff I inherited when my wifes Grandpa passed away I always seem to have what I need laying around in those old tool boxes. I thought for sure I would find a nice straight piece of Flat Iron I could easily fashon into one, but this is the first time my "Magic Box" of goodies has let me down. [biggrin]

Archived