Gibson Brands Forums

BB King Lucille so far...

Buddy

Hi, I've just entered this forum to explore and find out more about Gibson guitars and the BB King Lucille in special. I just bought a Lucille 2003 on eBay and I must say I'm both happy and a little dissapointed.

Happy about the sound the great impression by the first look and how it feels.

A little dissapointed about the following:

- After removing the back cover I found a quite messy wireing and particles of wood that seem to be from a grinding job to make the back cover fit better to the body. The paint on the edges around the back hole is partly removed (not visible with the cover on), and the "inductor coil box" was loose and making noise when I turned or shaked the guitar.

- The back of the neck is kind of sticky, but this I found quite normal when Nitro Paint process is used. It seem to improve and I have not done anything else but cleaning it and used a guitar polish once.

- I also have a question about the color. It looks like a plain Ebony paint. I have heard that they should have a type of black glittering gold flake paint, but mine is plain Ebony. Were they delivered with both options? Is it only the Lucille Super that has the sparkling gold finish? I can do very well without the glitter but I just want to understand more about the different models.

Except from this is looks almost unused, no fret wear what so ever[biggrin]

Thanks!

Relax! It's a great guitar, I've had one for several years. I would be more surprised if someone from ebay didn't mess with the wiring. I put 13 gauge strings on it and wow, what a fat sound! I just saw one on ebay for around $1800, is that the one you got?

I really want a new gibson lucille. I just can't except the new headstock design. Please gibson, go back to the original design.(the one that has Lucille and the Gibson Logo on it.) If anything just for a special run.

- I also have a question about the color. It looks like a plain Ebony paint. I have heard that they should have a type of black glittering gold flake paint' date=' but mine is plain Ebony. Were they delivered with both options? Is it only the Lucille Super that has the sparkling gold finish? I can do very well without the glitter but I just want to understand more about the different models.

Thanks![/quote']

The standard ebony finish on these is just black. There was a special run of them with black sparkle.

Danny W.

Absolutely LOVE mine! (See Below)

I'm sure you will, too! Tighten anything loose, up

(mine arrived, from the dealer, via Fed Ex, with a loose Varitone, which I

just tightened, back down...pretty sure, that was a shipping "thing")...and,

If there is no other "issues" with tone, or crackling, or shorting, and things

sound fine...Just Play It, A LOT! You'll love what you hear! ;>)

DSC_0232.jpg

DSC_0231.jpg

DSC_0233.jpg

(Stock tuning keys, were changed, to Imperial keys...but, actual Machine Heads, are stock.)

Cheers,

CB

Thanks everyone! It sure is a great guitar, but I also think Stijn V is very honest. If someone got a picture on how the wiring should look like (originally),

then please drop a photo!

Archived