Gibson Brands Forums

Toxic smelling new J-45 case

anzafrank

Both my newer black'n'blue Gibson cases smell like vanilla-cake. 10 % of that would have been okay, but this is way too much. I would have placed them on the balcony if the rain hadn't ruled the city the past periode. The one from this year is the strongest - the 2008's slightly weaker without any plans of giving in though. Are we sure they don't kind of spray-flavour them at the factory. To remind us we bought this new darling or maybe for some deeper psychological reason. I cannot longer visit the bakery without thinking of chord-changes. A bit absent the other day, I asked the young girl down there if I could have a F#m6 with poppy seeds and raisins.

• 11 months later...

Hi, first post,

I have a 1986 J-30 I bought used, and upgraded the bad case it came with a new J-45 case I ordered on line. It came yesterday, so I opened it up and the chemical smell kind of knocked me over, so I put it outside, then in the sun, then sprayed it with lysol, and none of that did anything at all. After that I put it in a room with a living air ozone air purifier blowing on it for 14 hours. Still smells like a chemical with cheap perfume added. I can't put my guitar in it in fear of it stinking it up. I'm not even sure it's safe to keep in the house. Anybody go through this? Thanks,

Frank

Just got a new case Gibson case for my 68 j45. Same thing!. I don't know what this smell is but I don't want my guitar to smell that way. Did you return yours? If so is the replacement any better?

Just got a new case Gibson case for my 68 j45. Same thing!. I don't know what this smell is but I don't want my guitar to smell that way. Did you return yours? If so is the replacement any better?

Hey KHW,

The place I bought it from sent me another one without me having to send the first one back, but it was the same. My wife wouldn't let me keep either in the house, so they both stayed in the garage for about 8 mos. with many dryer sheets in them, and that got the smell out, but the guitar smells like downey now. Ha! The bad part is that I bought a RK Banjo a few years ago, and the case is perfect, and much higher quality, and it's from China! Go figure. Try the dryer sheets.

Frank

Hey KHW,

The place I bought it from sent me another one without me having to send the first one back, but it was the same. My wife wouldn't let me keep either in the house, so they both stayed in the garage for about 8 mos. with many dryer sheets in them, and that got the smell out, but the guitar smells like downey now. Ha! The bad part is that I bought a RK Banjo a few years ago, and the case is perfect, and much higher quality, and it's from China! Go figure. Try the dryer sheets.

Frank

I just got a new case with a new Gibson, and it's a TKL, black exterior and blue (lighter blue than previous ones) interior, and it is definitely stinky.

I don't get why they changed it, but I have to guess that TKL switched to a different glue that stinks! [thumbdn]

Fred

I just got a new case with a new Gibson, and it's a TKL, black exterior and blue (lighter blue than previous ones) interior, and it is definitely stinky.

I don't get why they changed it, but I have to guess that TKL switched to a different glue that stinks! [thumbdn]

Fred

The bad part is that we all know that Gibson can do better than this, but they choose not to, and thats all there is to it. They know exactly what they are doing with the sub quality cases, and I got two in a row. Gibson wanted me to send both back to them, but what would that have accomplished? They are still doing it one year later, and they are not aware of the problem? Right... Thats what they told me when I called them. "Nope, we haven't heard of anyone having this problem except you.

Peanut shells and other dry ingredients like rice or potato flakes can absorb odours (yes, this is the Canadian spelling, ironically) rather well but leaving the case open for a week in a dry room is the ideal. The glue smells so bad because it is rendered glue - a byproduct of animal slaughter and simply just not a pleasant sort of stuff.

I worked as a case maker for a few years and we didn't use these smelly glues, but our alternative was derived almost entirely from oil - perhaps not the best choice these days. So, your patience to air out the case is a contribution to future generations.

The reason(s) the cases are not cured in the factory include: Lack of space; too much dust around; most orders are completed at the last minute; case makers are lazy sods; owners are as cheap as the sods are lazy.

I had the same issue with an Epiphone-branded case I bought for my ES 335-12 earlier this year. That one is almost certainly a Chinese-made case. It fits like a glove, but stank to high heaven. I just left it open for a few days with the guitar removed, and the smell has gradually gone away. I haven't had the same problem with Martin, Gibson Custom, or TKL-branded cases.

It's almost certainly the adhesive used either for the liner or the outer skin.

Also had the outer covering adhesion issue with a brand-new TKL-built 1950's historic repro Cali Girl(brown/pink)case recently. Disappointing, given what it cost.

A prominent maker of custom cases here in the US consistently produces cases that stink to high heaven (My boss used to use their cases for all his guitars until they started showing up smelly) - apparently it's from the glue used in construction. We could never figure out how to kill the smell so he switched makers and the problem disappeared. I refrain from "bashing" of any kind so I'll not mention any maker's names - My advice is to return the case and buy one from a different vendor. If you research the subject on the net there's a wealth of names, recommendations, etc. to guide you!

Best O' Luck Matey!

B

Compared to my 1 year old post above, I have found a more relaxed relationship with my 2 contemporary Gibson cases – one black'n'blue, one black'n'yellow.

Then again they both have evaporated since 2010/08 and maybe therefor I now tend to enjoy the remains of the over-sweet smell from the guitars when taken from their trunks. It's no longer this thick haze around the instruments (the 45 is almost neutral as it's seldom in the case), but rather some sort of vague ooze adding to their identitiy.

Another thing I found, is that most of the vintage Gibsons I encountered during the last 12 months, in fact had some kind of sugar-smell left if exposed to the famous sound-hole sniff (we're talking 40-50-55 years). A teasing riddle that turns me on and makes me wonder. And I'm sure Gibson is aware too. In other words : I still can't outcount the idea the vanilla cake is there with a purpose. As a historically conscious trick of sniff-appeal.

Compared to my 1 year old post above, I have found a more relaxed relationship with my 2 contemporary Gibson cases – one black'n'blue, one black'n'yellow.

Then again they both have evaporated since 2010/08 and maybe therefor I now tend to enjoy the remains of the over-sweet smell from the guitars when taken from their trunks. It's no longer this thick haze around the instruments (the 45 is almost neutral as it's seldom in the case), but rather some sort of vague ooze adding to their identitiy.

Another thing I found, is that most of the vintage Gibsons I encountered during the last 12 months, in fact had some kind of sugar-smell left if exposed to the famous sound-hole sniff (we're talking 40-50-55 years). A teasing riddle that turns me on and makes me wonder. And I'm sure Gibson is aware too. In other words : I still can't outcount the idea the vanilla cake is there with a purpose. As a historically conscious trick of sniff-appeal.

I think the vintage J-45 soundhole smell is the mix of old unfinished mahogany and spruce on the inside of the guitar, coupled with the fairly distinctive nitro smell when new. I used to build boats (originally of the wooden variety), and you very quickly get to the point that you can easily identify different woods by their smell. No joke here, and I'm not just talking about highly-aromatic woods like some of the cedars.

I think the vintage J-45 soundhole smell is the mix of old unfinished mahogany and spruce on the inside of the guitar, coupled with the fairly distinctive nitro smell when new. I used to build boats (originally of the wooden variety), and you very quickly get to the point that you can easily identify different woods by their smell. No joke here, and I'm not just talking about highly-aromatic woods like some of the cedars.

Aha, interesting angle, , , so there no old case glue factor -

I don't believe in EVER taking the approach of "wait & see" or "don't tell them because they don't care anyway." With my businesses I have heard the "no one else has reported this problem" that just can't be so. Sometimes, when I did know several of the people at the vendors, I would be told that something hadn't been reported and I knew it hadn't been. I know what you mean and how frustrating it is when you hear stuff like that and things don't change.

Give them a call and request a return authorization on their dime. Ask for a "call tag" to be emailed or a UPS or FedEx Ground pickup issued by 123. They are all in the same owners as MF & GC and will do it if asked. Remember, they can't fix what they don't know is broke.

They may reship new while you're waiting for the old to be picked up. And if you threw away the shipping box the new one will provide that.

Aster

I don't believe in EVER taking the approach of "wait & see" or "don't tell them because they don't care anyway." With my businesses I have heard the "no one else has reported this problem" that just can't be so. Sometimes, when I did know several of the people at the vendors, I would be told that something hadn't been reported and I knew it hadn't been. I know what you mean and how frustrating it is when you hear stuff like that and things don't change.

Give them a call and request a return authorization on their dime. Ask for a "call tag" to be emailed or a UPS or FedEx Ground pickup issued by 123. They are all in the same owners as MF & GC and will do it if asked. Remember, they can't fix what they don't know is broke.

They may reship new while you're waiting for the old to be picked up. And if you threw away the shipping box the new one will provide that.

Aster

"They can't fix what they don't know is broke? Have you read these threads? What planet are you on? I put many threads on this forum a year ago about this problem, plus calling Gibson, and I hate to brake this to you, but Gibson reads this forum too, even one year ago. Yea, Gibson is not aware of the problem.

Archived