Gibson Brands Forums

Strings for a '58 ES-125?

TheX

Wow, that's a fine looking piece! Congratulations!

You will need steel strings for electric guitar (as opposed to bronze strings for acoustic guitar).

After this, it depends on what you play and the sound you are after, and I expect you will do some experimentation.

You first need to decide on roundwound or flatwound strings. Roundwound is the most common configuration. Flatwounds are a bit of an acquired taste. They have quicker decay and a darker tone and are favoured by some jazz players. They are not as loud as roundwounds.

You then need to decide on gauge and tone (again).

As a general rule, rock players tend to go for brighter sounding, lighter gauge strings - say up to .011 on the first string. Jazz players tend to go for a darker sounding strings from .011 up. Flatwounds are generally only available from .011 up.

The guitar will probably need to be set up for the new strings.

As a first step, how about going to a music shop to try guitars strung with different gauges.

If you have a tame luthier, he or she can also advise.

RN

depends on what you are playing (style wise)

Since I play mostly jazz I go with flatwounds. Thomastik Infelds make some excellent flats.

For roundwounds I use Newtone strings. If money is no object, start there. Both TIs and Newtone strings should last a long time on that guitar.

If you dont know what gauge you want go with 11s or 12s but make sure the guitar is set up for the string gauge.

I wish I had that guitar .. just finding the right strings for it would be half the fun.

Enjoy!

I've had it for about 4 days now, traded a Firebird V (2005) for it. I love flatwounds on my Elitist Broadway.

I put a set of Dean Markley Blue Steel 11's on it today, with a wound G. Much better projection than what it had (unknown brand).

I've had it for about 4 days now' date=' traded a Firebird V (2005) for it. I love flatwounds on my Elitist Broadway.

I put a set of Dean Markley Blue Steel 11's on it today, with a wound G. Much better projection than what it had (unknown brand).

[/quote']

This post leaves me wondering why your first post was worded, "I'm a LONG time nylon player, wondering what to put on this,".

If you had stated that you already played electric - and have a better quality archtop - with flatwounds, I would have replied differently - or possibly not bothered.

RN

Archived