Gibson Brands Forums

This breaking news just in...

truetone6

...what?

I called Gibson and was told the Nashville plant is still closed and they don't have a date by which they expect it to reopen.I have read posts by GibsonUSA saying that they plan to start shipping at the end of July. How long does it actually take to make a Les Paul?

I called Gibson and was told the Nashville plant is still closed and they don't have a date by which they expect it to reopen.I have read posts by GibsonUSA saying that they plan to start shipping at the end of July. How long does it actually take to make a Les Paul?

The hand work is the time consuming portion (no, I don't know the answer). But we can presume a lot of the initial work is done on CNC machines (which probably needed to be replaced, and are probably what is taking the longest to get). Those can crank out basic parts really quickly. The cutting of body cavities etc. is all done with jigs no doubt (if not more CNC) and should go quickly. It would be any hand work, detailing/finishing that would be the most time consuming. And speaking of finishing, the "worn" nitro finishes of say the 50's Tributes (I presume you were referring to them with the shipping at the end of July) should be far less labor intensive than a standard full on nitro finish, which is in part why I've speculated they they'd run these first when ramping back up. They'll crank out a lot of them in a hurry (hopefully not TOO much of a hurry!).

...what?

TG thats an old old Saturday night live joke.

In the 70s Franco was dying and he hung on for weeks long after reports his death was imminent.

Once he died Chevy Chase reported on every show that he was still dead. It was a running gag.

The hand work is the time consuming portion (no' date=' I don't know the answer). But we can presume a lot of the initial work is done on CNC machines (which probably needed to be replaced, and are probably what is taking the longest to get). Those can crank out basic parts really quickly. The cutting of body cavities etc. is all done with jigs no doubt (if not more CNC) and should go quickly. It would be any hand work, detailing/finishing that would be the most time consuming. And speaking of finishing, the "worn" nitro finishes of say the 50's Tributes (I presume you were referring to them with the shipping at the end of July) should be far less labor intensive than a standard full on nitro finish, which is in part why I've speculated they they'd run these first when ramping back up. They'll crank out a lot of them in a hurry (hopefully not TOO much of a hurry!).[/quote']

I once tried a simple calculation - even if the only outlet is GC, and you presume that they sell at least two a day for 350 days per location per year, that works to like (2x350x@215 locations...) @150,000 (of all types) per year.

If the factory is open some 250 days per year, that's about 600 guitars (of all types) per day just to meet the minimal needs of one customer. Throw in some of the other large retailers, and well, you get the idea.

2-3 weeks for all I know. Here is the slide show where you can see the stages of production:

http://www.gibson.com/en-us/Divisions/Gibson%20USA/Additional%20Info/Factory%20Tour/Gibson_USA_Factory_Tour_Slides/Factory-Tours-408/

Pretty good.

When will it start?

Building the Les Pauls? They don't know yet. I called and spoke to them about repairs yesterday (repair center is functioning). I'm sure they want to begin production again even more than we want them to. But they can only do what they can do. When the machinery and whatever else they need to replace is installed and ready to go, they're fire it up ASAP.

The damage at the factory (meaning structural damage of the building) was considerable and taking it back into use takes a bit longer than anticipated.

There unfortunately won't be production at the Gibson USA plant yet in July according to the latest update.

Man...................after 25 years of having to sell my LP GT and finally find something I can afford and want badly...............I can't wait till they are up and running to see if they will produce more GT's because I'll be alllllllllllllll over it.

Thanks for your efforts.

I seem to remember the GM posting a few weeks back about progress. Did you talk to him?

No, I spoke to Customer Service. The primary reason for my call was to find out if the repair shop was functioning, as I need to send in my Robot, but didn't want to send it in and have it just sit there waiting for them to re-open. Was assured repairs are being processed, so it's off to Guitar Center today for an RMA and shipping for evaluation. After the evaluation, they can hopefully give me an expected turn around time.

The damage at the factory (meaning structural damage of the building) was considerable and taking it back into use takes a bit longer than anticipated.

There unfortunately won't be production at the Gibson USA plant yet in July according to the latest update.

Wow!Thanks for the update. Do they will reopen this month? August?

I once tried a simple calculation - even if the only outlet is GC' date=' and you presume that they sell at least two a day for 350 days per location per year, that works to like (2x350x@215 locations...) @150,000 (of all types) per year.

If the factory is open some 250 days per year, that's about 600 guitars (of all types) per day just to meet the minimal needs of one customer. Throw in some of the other large retailers, and well, you get the idea.

[/quote']

i don't think they are all selling 2 a day. not even close. USA was making 300-500 guitars per day (depending on orders, and types of guitars). after the reopen the factory that number will go up to 600 or 700 due to a better layout than what they had making it more efficient. these numbers come from the horse's mouth. [thumbup]

• 2 weeks later...

Archived