Gibson Brands Forums

Tuning guitars to different frequencies????

onewilyfool

My wife recently showed me some information on 528Hz and 432 Hz tunings. Apparently before 1939, all instruments were tuned to A-432. Stradivarius violins were originally designed for A-432 tunings. After 1939, A-440 became the standard, for what appears to be arbitrary reasons. I have a tuner that allows me to adjust the A frequency, so I set it to 432 and tuned up. Surprisingly, I found it much sweeter sound, and was better for my voice with respect to singing. Just interested to see if any of you have played around with this? A-432 is supposed to be more attuned to the vibrations of the universe, and C-528 is supposed to be more sympathetic to Love or the Heart Chakra, if you are into that type of thing. To get C-528 you can tune your A string to A-417 or A-444. I have not tried that, because my electronic tuner does not go to A-417 and I need to research more on how much extra stress would be added to the guitar to tune to A-444, but would like to hear if others have any experience or results they can share....thanks.....

... how much extra stress would be added to the guitar to tune to A-444 ...

Well, 440 * 2^(1/12) = 466, so tuning up a half step increases the frequency of the A string by around 6%. Tension is proportional to the square of the frequency, so tuning up half a step increases A string tension by just over 12%. This is roughly equal to the tension increase in going from a light gauge A string to a medium gauge A string (e.g., just under 14% in going from the A string in a D'Addario EJ-16 set to the A string in a D'Addario EJ-17 set on a long scale guitar). By contrast, tuning up from 440 to 444 increases the frequency by about 1% and the tension by around 2%.

In other words, the "extra stress" is completely negligible.

-- Bob R

Well' date=' 440 * 2^(1/12) = 466, so tuning up a half step increases the frequency of the A string by around 6%. Tension is proportional to the square of the frequency, so tuning up half a step increases A string tension by just over 12%. This is roughly equal to the tension increase in going from a light gauge A string to a medium gauge A string (e.g., just under 14% in going from the A string in a D'Addario EJ-16 set to the A string in a D'Addario EJ-17 set on a long scale guitar). By contrast, tuning up from 440 to 444 increases the frequency by about 0.1% and the tension by around 0.2%.

In other words, the "extra stress" is completely negligible.

-- Bob R

[/quote']

Thanks Bob....Good to know....My tuner DOES go to 444 but not to 417, so I can try that other frequency....

Guest BentonC

I don't have anything useful to add, but I can say that it is a very interesting principle. I like frequency theories, and now I'm interested to try tuning to some of the frequencies mentioned...

(As grampa mentioned, it all becomes a moot point once other players get involved, but still interesting none-the-less).

Thanks for the insight!

I notice when jamming along with old recordings there seems to be no method to the madness. I mean old Bill Monroe, Stonemans, Buzz Busby, ect.

I think they just tuned to a swine harp.......

[blink]

I notice when jamming along with old recordings there seems to be no method to the madness. I mean old Bill Monroe' date=' Stonemans, Buzz Busby, ect.

I think they just tuned to a swine harp.......

[lol

they just tuned to whatever instrument in the room sounded "in tune" at the time.

this thread does bring up a poin though.... a lot of blues and rock recordings are tuned down half a step. this is why. it sound more natural for that type of music. a fine classical piece may work at 440, but blues, rock, and country are roots music... and they sound better when they are a little relaxed.

Very interesting post/thread.

As I'm a couch player, my guitar will tend to drift a bit over time, since I only tend to make sure that it is in tune with itself. That is until I remember to get out the tuning fork after a while or when tuning back from Open D, etc., or actually put on a training video and find out just how far my guitar as drifted from A-440. I never thought about intentionally tuning to A-432, or anything else for that matter.

Sounds interesting (no pun intended).

All the best,

Guth

Concert pitch is relative. Historically it was regional. With no real scientific reference point the best ancient musicians had was to tune TO someone else in the room. Eventually 'standard' references were developed, such as the tuning fork, but these were not universally accepted, nor identical, world wide. And depending on the material the tuning fork was made of the pitch it made could change over time.

At one time brass and wood-wind instruments were sold in 'sets' as they were tuned to each other. In some cases, a cornet, for example, from another batch or another manufacturer could not be substituted as it could not be brought into tune with the rest. I learned this from a friend who collects Civil War era instruments who also plays in a Civil War era re-enactment band. He said that during the Civil War, Regimental bands seldom had matched instruments and the quality of music suffered but was endured as it was all they had.

A common, universal Concert Pitch was demanded but, like VHS and Beta, there were numerous factions who thought their 'Concert Pitch' was 'right'. Eventually, as you cited, A above Middle C was pegged at 440 Hz as a universal world standard.

As for old recordings. Bear in mind, these were taped and / or cut into records. Recording machinery and play back machinery are just that. They are susceptible to running faster or slower than their counterparts due to age, wear and actual voltage available.

Even modern age CD players are susceptible to variable play back. I have a player at work I have played a CD on to which I accompanied with my guitar. I tune my guitar to the A-440 reference. My home CD player plays a tad slower and I have to de-tune my guitar down about 3/4 of a step from A-440 to be in tune with the played back music.

When researching this, I found out that Jimi Hendrix used to tune his guitars to Eb.....but who knows. I feel it is easier on my voice, and if I play alone, I may keep my guitar at that pitch, and if I play with others I will use 440. I have never had perfect pitch, and even tuning a guitar is difficult for me.....Thank heavens for the electronic clip on tuner....Otherwise I would be playing less and tuning more. In the old days, I used to tune to chords, like G, A or D....depending on which key I was going to sing in. Chords I can hear, but using standard tuning patterns, I just am not exact.....

Archived