Gibson Brands Forums

sweet vintage 200

jefleppard

No pardon needed.

In the 70s Gibson had a large supply of European Maple, sometimes called Sycamore. They used them on some acoustics, the MK53, maybe others. When Kalamazoo closed, the wood was shipped to Nashville and used on some acoustics there as well. At some point early in the Bozeman era the maple was shipped there for use on the J200s (maybe others, standard disclaimer here). That wood has travelled a lot.

Bozeman used the Euro Maple until it ran out, which was sometime in the early 90s. It is very plain, almost no figure at all, but I've been told it is slightly softer, very consistent in hardness, density, and just a nice wood to work with. When they ran out, they went to Eastern Maple, which often has much more figure (standard disclaimer again).

One person, who has been with Bozeman since 1988, told me he didn't believe there was any tone difference between the two types of maple. I certainly can't refute that, but there are those out there who say the tone of the early Bozemans with Euro Maple have a nicer tone, softer and not as brassy. If true (big if), then it comes down to a matter of personal preference. I can tell you I sought (and bought) an '89 J200 based on this legend or hype and I am very happy with it. Granted I didn't have the luxury of going onto a room full of them to compare, but I have since played other J200s and prefer mine.

j200a.jpg

The "vintage" reference is kinda odd but I do know the best Bozeman-made J-200 I have played to this day is one of the first they made (not sure if it was made in 1988 or 1989). Unfortunately, there are a bunch of people on the waiting list should the owner ever decide to sell it.

No pardon needed.

In the 70s Gibson had a large supply of European Maple' date=' sometimes called Sycamore. They used them on some acoustics, the MK53, maybe others. When Kalamazoo closed, the wood was shipped to Nashville and used on some acoustics there as well. At some point early in the Bozeman era the maple was shipped there for use on the J200s (maybe others, standard disclaimer here). That wood has travelled a lot.

Bozeman used the Euro Maple until it ran out, which was sometime in the early 90s. It is very plain, almost no figure at all, but I've been told it is slightly softer, very consistent in hardness, density, and just a nice wood to work with. When they ran out, they went to Eastern Maple, which often has much more figure (standard disclaimer again).

One person, who has been with Bozeman since 1988, told me he didn't believe there was any tone difference between the two types of maple. I certainly can't refute that, but there are those out there who say the tone of the early Bozemans with Euro Maple have a nicer tone, softer and not as brassy. If true (big if), then it comes down to a matter of personal preference. I can tell you I sought (and bought) an '89 J200 based on this legend or hype and I am very happy with it. Granted I didn't have the luxury of going onto a room full of them to compare, but I have since played other J200s and prefer mine.

[/quote']

It's a cool story I hadn't heard, and gives your guitar a certain mojo too.

Thanks for catching me up. That is a pretty interesting thought about the Euro Maple. That is one of the things I like about the guitar market. I love all the different aspects that make a guitar more or less valuable or resonant. They could just be superstition but I find myself typically falling for the hype. I will try to find one of these euro maple 200s to try out. Thanks again.

I own one of the fabled Euro Maple J-200s from 1990. I have played about 25 different J-200s and this one is the best tone I have found. The Euro Maple produces a mellow full bodied tone with tons of volume. It just a tremendous guitar in every respect.

DSCF1550.jpg

DSCF1556.jpg

DSCF1555.jpg

DSCF1546.jpg

i see what KSD was talking about with reference to the figuring being more subtle. is it actually a little darker, more beige? a friend in town here has an '89 - the first bozeman 'vintage'. this guitar has tonnes of volume and is very well balanced - no brassiness whatsoever.

i see what KSD was talking about with reference to the figuring being more subtle. is it actually a little darker' date=' more beige? a friend in town here has an '89 - the first bozeman 'vintage'. this guitar has tonnes of volume and is very well balanced - no brassiness whatsoever.[/quote']

Yeah, it might be a little darker but I think most of the color tone is from the finish aging over time. I think the last picture is a little darker than it really is due to light in the room. The other pictures are more color correct.

Archived