Gibson Brands Forums

Pickup suggestions

Silenced Fred

Okay, so for the neck position, I am looking for something high gain, trebly like Jack White sound area. I like that sound especially for solos. Also, for the bridge, I want something pretty smooth, but that can get crunchy, this will be strictly for rhythm playing. Suggestions?

In case anyone hasn't noticed, I'm going to be doing some modding to my Les Paul Studio. I know, nothing crazy, just thinking about adding a Bigsby and pickup swap. I'm gonna buy a Sheraton I think will be doing a lot of the general purpose stuff...

hmmm... For me, I would check out a BurstBucker 3 in the neck position, and a 498T in the Bridge. Both pickups are generally pretty high output and give great crunch. But you will still be able to maintain the "smooth" sound because both pickups incorporate Alnico V magnet. I use a 498T in the bridge in my main guitar. Excellent pickup for distorted rhythm as well as a great lead sound.

Hope this helped!!!!! PEACE

hmmm... For me' date=' I would check out a BurstBucker 3 in the neck position, and a 498T in the Bridge. Both pickups are generally pretty high output and give great crunch. But you will still be able to maintain the "smooth" sound because both pickups incorporate Alnico V magnets. I use a 498T in the bridge in my main guitar. Excellent pickup for distorted rhythm as well as a great lead sound.

Hope this helped!!!!! PEACE[/quote']

Well, Jack White uses a lot of Gretsch stuff, nowadays. With TV Pickups, if I remember correctly. There a pretty good article in the August 2010 Guitar Player on his Tone.

To me, his tone sounds like a Gretsch TV pickup through a Fender or Fender-like Amp. A lot like Billy Gibbons' Live Tone but with a bit more mid and treble, and a little more presence on the gain (Check out Live in Texas).

I like what I've heard about Power'Tron's. Haven't actually test drove one yet' date=' but I like the idea.[/quote']

That's what I was thinking. I need to try some out. Maybe just end up with a whole new guitar. My solos are fairly similar to White's, kind of looking for the same kinda tone thing, its odd

Archived