Gibson Brands Forums

Happy birthday Carlos!

Bowdiddley

Id say that would have been Peter Green.

Funny you should say that!

Just this morning I was listening to a PG track I'd never heard before from a 4-CD compilation anthology that goes from his time pre-John Mayall all the way through to 2008.

It's called "Soul Dressing" and is from his time with "Peter B's Looners" (Peter Bardens) sometime in '66 - before he got Clapton's newly vacated seat with the Bluesbreakers.

The track is a Booker T and the MG's '...organ-guitar funk' instrumental and if I didn't know better I'd swear blind it was Santana.

I'll try to find a link...

Back in the early 70's I was lucky enough to see him at Kent State, and due to standing room only more lucky to be about 20 feet from where he was playing. All I can say is he is one fantastic guitarist.

This is Peter in 1967......sound familiar?

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

Yes' date=' it sounds like the fore runner of Fleetwood Mac's "Black Magic Woman". A very British sounding Minor Blues song that Santana spiced up with a Latin beat.

Anyway, that's not "The Song" what brought Latin beats and sensibility back into popular music, it was "Soul Sacrifice" at Woodstock that got the mainstreams attention.

[YOUTUBE']http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLDalZ4-53g[/YOUTUBE]

on a side note, Mick Fleetwood and John MacVie are the rhythm section of John Mayall's Blues Breakers.

When I think of Peter Green I think of British Blues' date=' not Latin Rock [confused']

Me too.

But have you tracked down the instrumental (Soul Dressing) I mentioned in an earlier post?

I played it to the wife yesterday and, even before I asked the question, she said "Ah! Santana. I love Santana!".

I can't find it anywhere on the Web.

I've put it on my hard drive and will try to upload it somehow when I have the time.

Apologies in advance; I know it's going a bit Tangential and off-topic but I don't feel like the following merits a whole new thread of it's own...

...on a side note' date=' Mick Fleetwood and John MacVie are the rhythm section of John Mayall's Blues Breakers...[/quote']

Well, Yes and No (or, more accurately, No and Yes!).

After they recorded the "Beano" the Bluesbreakers hired drummer Aynsley Dunbar to take over duties from Hughie Flint and P.G. was brought in from his gig, with 'Peter B's Looners', by Mayall to replace Clapton.

Soon afterwards Dunbar was sacked by Mayall for being "...too Flashy and Busy..." and he was replaced by the drummer P.G. knew from the aforementioned 'Peter B's Looners' - Mick Fleetwood.

He only lasted a "...very brief stint..." before he, too, was sacked; this time for drunkenness.

By this time (late '67) Green, McVie and Fleetwood had met and, over a period of several months, they started recording together.

Originally McVie didn't want to leave Mayall's (well paid) band and Green and he played on Mayall's records even after the first Fleetwood Mac album was released.

Anyway; Happy Birthday again, Carlos!

Archived