Gibson Brands Forums

What should I get for my first Gibson Acoustic?

jrm

Hi all, I am in the market for a Gibson Acoustic. I am looking for something that is a great strummer, is very articulate, good for fingerstyle when needed, etc... I love the look of the J-45 and even more the Southern Jumbo. The darker the burst the better.

I got to play a J-45 last weekend along with an all mahogany AJ... both were fantastic. But the cost of the AJ and then the need to put a pickup in it was going to blow my budget.

So I'm thinking something like a J-45, SJ or a Hummingbird Artist. I'm hoping for something with neck binding that covers the fret ends.

What might you recommend? I play 90% strumming and lead music at my church. The other guitar player I lead with plays a Hummingbrid Artist. I really like it, but think I might want to look for something different that would compliment his tone. Which way might you direct me? Thanks!

-jon

... So I'm thinking something like a J-45' date=' SJ or a Hummingbird Artist. I'm hoping for something with neck binding that covers the fret ends. ...[/quote']

If you like fretboard binding' date=' the SJ is your guitar! The SJ, after all, is just a J-45 with the extra "bling". Go for it and enjoy!!![/quote']

+1

... Does the binding cover the fret ends on the sj?

If you mean like the nub's on Gibby electrics - no. But the fret tangs on the Gibby acoustics are hidden by the binding on the side of the fretboard. (The nubs on a Gibby electric - the part of the fret ends that protrude over the binding - are covered by the binding.)

Gibby SJ -

sjmc007.jpg

Gibby LP

http://i.ebayimg.com/01/!Bw+JuMQBmk~$(KGrHqR' date='!igEv1+0FgeMBMLf(LEOYQ~~_3.JPG[/img']

Yep, that's what I was wondering. Thanks for the pics.. I was hoping they covered the ends like on my les Paul and my buddies hummingbird artist.

Might there be other Gibson acoustics that have the lp style binding?

If you mean like the nub's on Gibby electrics - no.

Actually, it depends on the model -- e.g., TV SJ-200s and Hummingbirds do have the "nubs", but the corresponding standards don't.

-- Bob R

Hummingbird Pro from Guitar Center. (may be too much like the H-bird Artist you mention... not sure). The binding has the fret end "nubs" you want.

Otherwise look for a used J45... now THAT's a Gibson !!!

RB

Archived