Gibson Brands Forums

Early 70's LP Deluxe - Authentic?

FunkyMonk

Hey All

Im a Newb here and have a question for some of you experienced Gibson enthusiasts. I have been offered to buy what im told is an early 70's Gibson Les Paul Deluxe. The pics ive posted in the links below - and i was hoping to see if someone here could maybe ( from the limited pics ) tell me if this looks a little fake? or does it show some authenticity to be original.. What is making me ask the question is the truss rod cover while it is only 2 screws, does not look authentic and seem to be attached upside down ? Hoping someone with a keen eye for detail can explain if this is fine or something to be concerned about.

http://i828.photobucket.com/albums/zz207/FunkyMonkk/Gibson.jpg

http://i828.photobucket.com/albums/zz207/FunkyMonkk/Gibson2.jpg

Thoughts ?

Thanks

• 1 month later...

Hello! I don't want to make a judgement, since I am a bit confused too. The Deluxes had a wider headstock than usual (compared to Standard for example) what can be seen on the second picture. The color and the pot knobs also seem to be correct for a Deluxe, but the full-size humbuckers look strange. The Deluxe came with the so-called Epiphone New York mini-humbuckers. The ones which would fit into P-90 pickup cavities. So anyway, if it's a real Deluxe, it's not in original condition anymore. :-s

It looks fake. The body shape is off and the headstock is not a Deluxe

Hello! I have to disagree with You. If You compare the photo of the body with my photos of an original one, You can see the three-piece maple top and the knobs are correct for a Deluxe. Also please refer to the photos of the headstock, they look pretty same. My opinion is: this guitar ain't fake, but not original because of the pickups. Also a very important point of attention is that those Deluxes have voluted headstock-neck joints.

post-16336-044538300 1282816218_thumb.jpg

post-16336-081002400 1282816303_thumb.jpg

post-16336-010417700 1282816316_thumb.jpg

Hello! I have to disagree with You. If You compare the photo of the body with my photos of an original one, You can see the three-piece maple top and the knobs are correct for a Deluxe. Also please refer to the photos of the headstock, they look pretty same. My opinion is: this guitar ain't fake, but not original because of the pickups. Also a very important point of attention is that those Deluxes have voluted headstock-neck joints.

I thought the cutaway looked off but that may be due to the photo so you are probably right. It's unlikely a fake would have a 3 piece top as well

I thought the cutaway looked off but that may be due to the photo so you are probably right. It's unlikely a fake would have a 3 piece top as well

Hello Vortexx! I have seen some fakes, and it doesn't even take a second glance to see they are fakes (now I'm talking about the chinese fakes that are so many these days). What is typical about them is: they use Epiphone hardware. Always look at the bridge: the difference between a real Gibson (any year) and an Epiphone bridge is that the later has screwdriver slots on top of the height adjusting screws. Second thing: the headstock angle is always wrong (narrower than a Gibson's). And those I have seen all had 9-digit serial numbers, while a Deluxe must have a 6-digit (till '72), or 8-digit number. There are many other suspicious details on chinese fakes, but I don't want to stretch it too long. Anyway, what I would do is send some high resolution photos to Gibson. They were always helpful when I was in doubt.

Hey All

Im a Newb here and have a question for some of you experienced Gibson enthusiasts. I have been offered to buy what im told is an early 70's Gibson Les Paul Deluxe. The pics ive posted in the links below - and i was hoping to see if someone here could maybe ( from the limited pics ) tell me if this looks a little fake? or does it show some authenticity to be original.. What is making me ask the question is the truss rod cover while it is only 2 screws, does not look authentic and seem to be attached upside down ? Hoping someone with a keen eye for detail can explain if this is fine or something to be concerned about.

http://i828.photobucket.com/albums/zz207/FunkyMonkk/Gibson.jpg

http://i828.photobucket.com/albums/zz207/FunkyMonkk/Gibson2.jpg

Thoughts ?

Thanks

Hello FunkyMonk! Can You please ask the seller for a photo of the back of the headstock? 70's Gibson are all stamped with "MADE IN USA" logo. Also the serial number would help to determine the authencity (these were built between 69-85). Also I must correct myself, some Deluxes came with regular humbuckers - it was optional. (Sorry I just found out about that). [blush]

• 2 weeks later...

It's real. Deluxes have a bunch of variations. Most have 3 piece tops. Mid 70s models have stacked "pancake" bodies. 3 piece maple necks were used on most but switched to mahogany in the 80s. Maple necks usually have bumps on the back of the neck where it meets the head stock known as "volutes". Serial numbers were either stamped like current models or on a clear decal. The were equiped with minihumbuckers on most but could be ordered with P-90s "pro" models or standard humbuckers.

The majority of deluxes out there with standard humbuckers have been routed which is a big hit to the value.

• 1 month later...

"THIS http://www.tradetang...35-1924319.html is a fake les paul. look at the screw heads for the bridge"

Let's not overlook what is perhaps the best feature of this phony...the icing on the cake...(drum roll please)

The 1950 engraved pickguard!

I guess the chinese beat ol' Les to it by a couple years!

You'd think if they're gonna rip off a LP Classic they'd at least take a look at one and pay attention. How half-assed...At least in the 1970s copy-era, they actually out forth some effort...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The deluxe had pancake bodies, volutes and no "made in the usa" late'69/early '70.

That's the way mine was made. I have never seen a real deluxe with full size humbuckers that were not routed by the owner.

That's a good bit of information that I had not seen anywhere before.

Rick

Archived