Gibson Brands Forums

Buying a new guitar

Nattsvart

Well, I just sold my Epiphone Les Paul. I was never quite happy with it and now with it gone I am thinking I would get a real Gibson instead. I prefer the SG too, so that is what I am looking at.

I would say it is down to two options. Either the SG Standard or it could be the SG Raw Power.

The Raw Power seems to have a bit brighter sound with the 57 classic pups, but that isn't a bad thing. What has me mostly concerned is the neck.

The guitar i play mainly now is a Fender Strat (sorry to use the F-word here....) and I like the thin neck. It sort of makes my hand get around easier. The Raw Power seems to have a much wider neck, and I am a bit worried I would find it kind of hard to play.

So, does anyone know how the neck compares to a SG Standard?

Yes, I know that I should "go try one myself" and I would if there was one here to try. If I want a Raw Power I unfortunately have to order it online, so I can't actually try one. So, what the next best thing from tying one yourself? Ask people who knows!

Yeah most Sg's have the 50's style thick neck profile neck. If you can upgrade to the 61 reissue you will get the 60's slim tapered profile neck and the 57 Classic pups. Unless you go back to Epi and get the sg custom prophecy w/ dirty fingers pups. It has the speed tapered satin finish neck. I too am partial to the slimmer necks. Much easier to play with medium to smaller sized hands.

Even though the SG is my favorite guitar, I find that most have a neck that is too wide for my taste. I'm personally more concerned with fretboard width in regards to feel than overall neck thickness. I like a relatively narrow neck. If there's one thing I can't stand it's a really wide fretboard.

That's why I love my Standard so much. It's neck is more narrow than any other modern SG I've ever played. It's perfect for me. It's reminiscent of a late '60s SG neck profile.

If you're like me you will want to try before you buy because most SGs have a wide fretboard. '60s profile or not.

Even though the SG is my favorite guitar' date=' I find that most have a neck that is too wide for my taste. I'm personally more concerned with fretboard width in regards to feel than overall neck thickness. I like a relatively narrow neck. If there's one thing I can't stand it's a really wide fretboard.

That's why I love my Standard so much. It's neck is more narrow than any other modern SG I've ever played. It's perfect for me. It's reminiscent of a late '60s SG neck profile.

If you're like me you will want to try before you buy because most SGs have a wide fretboard. '60s profile or not. [/quote']

+!

Yeah it's the wide fretboard I worryt about too. When I tried wide ones it feels I have to stretch my fingers too much. But perhaps that is just something I need to get used too. A wider one has some advantages. My fingers arent exactly slim and nimble (thanks for that MacDonalds!) and having a wider fretboard may allow me to get between the strings a bit more, so to speak. If I can get used to it.....

The guy I bought my sg 3 from had this issue with necks, he actually had five sg's for sale when i went to buy the sg 3, and he ended up only using the 61 reissue which is a real fine guitar, but as you know expensive..but worth every cent..

The other thing i notice, the larger neck does have better substain in my opinion, great for blues and rocking, but if you want to do some heavy lifting ( aka shredding) then it may not work for you.....

Went to a store today and tried the SG Standard, the Raw Power and the 61 reissue.

I didnt like the Standard that much, becasue of the neck being a bit big. Probably due to to rounded back of it.

I thought I would have more of a problem with the Raw Power being wid, but it wasnt that bad. Its kind of flat compensating some. I prefer a less wide neck, but I can see some advantages with it being wider. Once you get used to it, you have a bit more room for stubby fingers.

The 61 reissue was very slim indeed, and very nice to play. And the sound!!!

the Raw Power has the same pickups, but cmae nowhere close to the sound of the 61. It really blew me away.

So I agree, it costs more, but i think it may very well be worth it.

I think you will be much happier with the 61 reissue, It seems to feel good, sound good and play good to you and if you think they are beautiful guitars like I do. That is a guitar telling you to take me home. Whichever guitar you choose please post some pics. We love pics of guitars in this forum!

Rewd.

some SG models sold out due to flooding of the Nashville factory, and the SG 61 is one of them. So, either get something else, or be patient and wait a few months.

I think I will go for patience..... Good things are worth waiting for.

some SG models sold out due to flooding of the Nashville factory' date=' and the SG 61 is one of them. So, either get something else, or be patient and wait a few months.

I think I will go for patience..... Good things are worth waiting for.[/quote']

I think I would wait also. I heard that the Nashville Plant basically needs to be rebuilt from the ground up. What a drag! Have you tried MF, Sweetwater or zZounds. They may have one in stock . I like Sweetwater myself. Good CS, free shipping in US and no taxes.

I heard that the Nashville Plant basically needs to be rebuilt from the ground up.

This is why some epiphone models should habe been manufactured in Kalamazoo (spelt wrong i know) They could have moved gibson to there until the Nashville factory got backon its feet

Archived