Gibson Brands Forums

How do you handle rudeness?

drathbun

If people are socializing and having a good time, and you want to play music- I'd make the following suggestion:

Next time, announce that you're going to play some music and take the guitar into a different part of the house than where the party is happening. Those people interested in hearing you or singing along will follow, the rest can continue their conversations.

Whether talking to musicians, mechanics, doctors, or housewives - there should be no expectation that human nature will over rule common sense and courtesy. There will always be the 5% who are outside the norm. Musicians don't have a monopoly on sensitivity, unfortunately. Maybe for us the statistic is only 4% :-k Just put it behind you. I always wish I could have come up with an instant come back - "I'm suprised you noticed my mistake, you seemed fully absorbed in your conversation! :) I'd invite her back. If she had knocked over the keg - now THAT would have been unforgiveable.

I guess it was the fact that the person being rude was a musican herself and that really irked me.

My guess is that she can't stand it when she is not the center of attention. These kind of people create all kinds of drama to place themselves at the center of it. Their thoughtlessness is a crude mask for their insecurity. You are better off with fewer such people in your life.

Red 333

drathbun,

Regardless of what happened at your party, I appreciate you sharing your music here. Sounds good, - I wasn't expecting the full on production exhibited in the recording. Thanks for sharing!

All the best,

Guth

drathbun' date='

Regardless of what happened at your party, I appreciate you sharing your music here. Sounds good, - I wasn't expecting the full on production exhibited in the recording. Thanks for sharing!

All the best,

Guth[/quote']

Thanks Guth, but I recorded that a couple years ago, so it was an easy link! [biggrin]

Well, sure creating a web link is easy, but creating a sound clip that you can actually link to takes a lot more effort and determination. Your party guest might not have been appreciative of your efforts in the moment that you described, and that's too bad. But I hope that you realize that your creative efforts are appreciated here.

Like I've said before, I love seeing pictures of all the beautiful guitars out there — but to actually hear one of those guitars being put to use is far more meaningful to me. In my mind, it really helps complete the full picture of how you use the instrument to express yourself, which is why they are constructed to begin with. In effect, you're really sharing a part of yourself, which goes beyond the basic purchase that your guitar on its own represents. That is not insignificant to me.

Thanks again for sharing,

Guth

Yeah, I think this gal was perhaps craving some attention of her own, but you were the one with the guitar and the song. On the otherhand, some folks don't know how to act in a close and personal "live music" situation. However, I suspect she did know how to act and she knew what she was doing. If she ever shows- up again, offer her the guitar for a couple songs or so. It will either shut her up or make her smile......Still, I think your original comments are right-on-target.

Archived