Gibson Brands Forums

Whats the best humbucker for blues?

dem00n

dem00n...

After I wrote what I wrote above' date=' I got thinking that you might take the "when I grew up a bit" as a personal insult. Believe me, it was far from that. I think there are some very grown up musicians in their teens and some very "immature" players (their music, not necessarily their personal life) who may have great skill and talent, but never grow.

I see musical maturity as somewhat different from personal maturity. Mozart had the former; I wonder if he achieved the latter, as just one example.

In fact, I tease that I may do X or Y "when I grow up," but gray-haired as I may be, I simply want to be cremated when I stop growing, learning and "maturing" both as a musician and as a human being. When I've taught various things to people - some older, some younger - I've emphasized that there's always something new to learn to change what and how you perform a skill.

Each new insight changes how you see everything else that came before, whether it's in guitar technique, computer programming, learning history or a sport - or in your personal life. The "trick" is finding that insight.

I tend to look at musicians my age or so whom I consider very talented, and wonder why they seem at times not to have cared about learning new things. It kinda frustrates me because I know I have less talent, but I'm always looking not just for "how do I play this riff in this song," but how to change my whole concept of playing this or that.

So... I very much respect your search. My hope is that it lasts another 50 to 75 years or so.

m

[/quote']

Your a very wise man sir, extremely well spoken.

no' date=' and that's why he sounds that bad [biggrin] [/quote']

You think he sounds bad? Steve is a breath of fresh air in a world of 'look at me, arn't I great ' guitarists. He just gets on with the job. All the talk of which pick up, neck thickness, weight, make of strings etc is just a load of tosh for undertalented fakes. A 'real' guitarist just plays what he's got. I've seen many players with great gear that are hopeless and players with Les Paul copies and cheap amps that sound like 'gods'.

Archived