Gibson Brands Forums

Amp tubes

yoda

I just replaced V1 in my Peavey Windsor head. Went from a 12ax7/ecc83 to a 12au7/ecc82, and WOW now the pre-amp and main volume knobs became WAY more useable! Not as much gain when cranking the pre all the way, but still has enough. Now I can get a good clean sound and crank the main to get that amp break up sound. I always liked the amp a lot, but I always wanted to get a clean tone out of it, and now I can.

-Aimee [cool]

Righteous. I was thinking about putting some tubes with a little more headroom in my little 5 Watt Valve Jr. I think I might try that now.

So, since it's a little less gainey (sp?) now, are you using anything like an OD pedal to help the amp break up?

Righteous. I was thinking about putting some tubes with a little more headroom in my little 5 Watt Valve Jr. I think I might try that now.

So' date=' since it's a little less gainey (sp?) now, are you using anything like an OD pedal to help the amp break up?[/quote']

Yeah, what are you doing to get the gain back? o.O

So' date=' since it's a little less gainey (sp?) now, are you using anything like an OD pedal to help the amp break up?[/quote']

I can still get all the gain I want by turning up the pre-amp volume knob, or kicking in my tube screamer.

I wonder if the tube change would require re biasing? You might want to check into that before any damage is done.

My "amp guy" was the one who suggested I throw it in, I asked and he said it should not matter.

I wonder if the tube change would require re biasing? You might want to check into that before any damage is done.

Nope..preamp tubes can be changed out without biasing. Its the power tubes that need a rebias.

If you want a tube thats in between the 12ax and the 12au you could try a 5751.

For reference the 121ax has a gain factor of 100, the 12au is 17 and the 5751 is 70.

I just replaced V1 in my Peavey Windsor head. Went from a 12ax7/ecc83 to a 12au7/ecc82...

I always liked the amp a lot' date=' but I always wanted to get a clean tone out of it, and now I can.[/quote']

A 12AU7 in place of a 12AX7 will definitely cut down on gain. However - and I've never messed around with a Peavey Windsor - I'm a little surprised that turning down the gain control wouldn't give you similar results. That's discounting the way that the 12AU7 and 12AX7 tubes you used sound different to begin with.

Nope..preamp tubes can be changed out without biasing. Its the power tubes that need a rebias.

If you want a tube thats in between the 12ax and the 12au you could try a 5751.

For reference the 121ax has a gain factor of 100' date=' the 12au is 17 and the 5751 is 70.[/quote']

Thanks I will try one.

A 12AU7 in place of a 12AX7 will definitely cut down on gain. However - and I've never messed around with a Peavey Windsor - I'm a little surprised that turning down the gain control wouldn't give you similar results. That's discounting the way that the 12AU7 and 12AX7 tubes you used sound different to begin with.

I've played with it, even turning the pre-amp gain down to the point of cutout it still had a little break up. If i also turned my guitar down to like 3 i could almost get a clean tone. That is the biggest complaint in reviews of the windsor, but in peaveys defense it was never marketed as a clean amp.

-Aimee:)

Archived