Gibson Brands Forums

Any Blues Fans In St. Louis?

L5Larry

From the shameless promotion department.

My blues band will playing a FREE concert in St. Louis, Missouri, Wednesday, August 4th, 7:30 p.m., under the stars at the Missouri Botanical Garden, Cohen Ampitheater. We've been honored with the invitation to close the Whitaker Music Festival for the 2010 season. Entry to the Garden is free after 5:00 p.m., and coolers, picnic baskets, lawn chairs and blankets are welcome, and encouraged.

For this concert we are doing kind of a "History Of The Blues" show, starting with the songs of Robert Johnson and traveling through Muddy Waters, John Lee Hooker, Buddy Guy, Gatemouth Brown and Bo Diddley, on our way to J. Geils, Grinderswitch, Robert Cray and the Allman Brothers. We'll even throw in a little Santo & Johnny and Errol Garner for good measure.

We'll start the show as an acoustic trio (Archtop GIBSON, bottleneck(ed) dobro, and harmonica), and will be a wailing five-piece on electrics by the time we're done. Two sets, 7:30 and 8:40, come on by, and be sure to come up and say "hi" during intermission or after the show. Hope to see some of you there.

Event details:

http://mobot.org/events/whitaker/default.asp

http://www.mobot.org/events/whitaker/moreinfo2.asp

4794487009_f6dbdef3e6.jpg

Larry, I wish I still lived in St. Louis. I would surely be there. This is one of the things I miss. All the wonderful music you have access to. Unfortunately I live more than 100 miles away. We have small shows in the town I live in but the variety isn't there. Most of the venues are either metal, rockabilly or country. It is a rare treat to get to see a blues or jazz rock show. I hope you have good weather and have a great show. The gardens is a beautiful place to play some music, I know it will be fun!

Rewd.

Last bump, aren't you glad.

Tomorrows filled with load-up, load-in, setup, sound check, etc. Weather looks to be typical St. Louis summer, 100 F and humid. That will probably scare off some lightweights, and will mean MAJOR cleanup of the guitars afterword. Tuning will also be a problem in this kind of weather (for the drummer too).

It seems musicians either LOVE to play outdoors, or HATE it, there doesn't seem to be any in-between. I am one who loves it, our slide player hates it, so we cancel each other out (the other guys don't matter).

I know there are 10 or so St. Louis members here, hope to see some of you there.

Wish you all could have been there. Besides the heat and humidity, thing couldn't have gone better. We had a pretty decent crowd (estimated at 4000), accommodating staff, great facilities, and the sound and lighting guys did a great job.

4866904625_9e3b1df05e.jpg

Archived