Gibson Brands Forums

Have You Ever Forgotten How Good a Guitar Sounds...

zombywoof

I surely did. A few years after I got married, my wife ended up selling her 1990s J-100 and claimed my trusty 1960 J-200 as her own. No problem, I found solace in an old Southerner Jumbo. A few days back I got a gig on really short notice. I am embarrased to say that the only guitars in the house that had fresh strings on them were my National Duolian and the J-200. So I grabbed the J-200 and out the door I went.

Got there and took it out of the case and hit a big old open A7th chord. First thought that came to my head was Lordy, this thing is loud. Then I started playing some bass runs with the side of my thumb and thought to myself, I don't recall this guitar having this much oomph and thump on the low end. Then I started putting it all together and it hit me just how fat sounding this guitar is.

Funny thing is for the past year or so I had been wishing my wife would go find some other guitar to love so I could sell the J-200. What the heck was I thinking.

Hey ZW....

You know better than most....... good ones only keep getting better with age. [cool]

Ain't that the gospel. And they sure don't get any cheaper as the eyars go by. I know I am lucky because these days, I could not never hope to cough up the cash to buy some of the old guitars I own.

Funny thing is for the past year or so I had been wishing my wife would go find some other guitar to love so I could sell the J-200. What the heck was I thinking.

Proving again that women know best! :-k (sorry, I couldn't resist!)

Have You Ever Forgotten How Good a Guitar Sounds...

That's one of things I really like about having a collection. Each one has it's reasons for me keeping it in my collection and not trading/selling it off. Rotating through my pieces' date=' sometimes I'm off one or another for more than a week or two. Then when I pick one up I haven't played in a while, sometimes there's a "wow" moment as I remember just why I kept it.

BTW, my wife doesn't play, so no complications with sharing instruments. [blush

Proving again that women know best! [biggrin] (sorry' date=' I couldn't resist!)[/quote']

The way I see it how could you not love a woman with such fine taste in guitars. She claims she thinks one of the reasons I married her was she was playing a Gibson when we met.

yes. a few times. i have an ovation celebrity, and once i started buying guitars every other month, i kinda lost interest in the ovation. i've gone through about 10 guitars the past couple years, maybe more. that ovation is always there, always good.

i was in guitar center a month ago and made a down payment on a 1969 j-50. went back in the other day to make another payment on it, and i forgot how great it sounded. i sat there on the stool playing the damn thing, and after about 2 minutes, i handed it back to the sales person because i knew i couldn't take it home yet. anyways, october 18 is the deadline to get it payed off. however, i think i'll get it on october first. this guitar teaches you how to play. <---in a sense

Archived