Gibson Brands Forums

Eric and Joe at the Royal Albert Hall

cookieman15061

Clapton needs more of this: someone to push him and not let him phone it in by playing a bunch of milquetoast shuffle tunes.

Thanks for posting.

When I saw Clapton on his last tour I said pretty much the same thing. He needs someone to build a fire under his rear to get him in gear.:-

Clapton needs more of this: someone to push him and not let him phone it in by playing a bunch of milquetoast shuffle tunes.

Thanks for posting.

Evol, I agree with you. I'm not a big Joe B, fan, but watching him play, he seemed more at ease than Eric did and

seems to know his way around the guitar better, too. I may be wrong, but I think Joe is more of a schooled player

than Eric is. Eric is more of a self-taught and picked it up on the road type player. I don't take anything away from that

or him. He's a great player. Joe looks more like a schooled player who's master his bag of tricks and pulls out of the

bag what he wants whenever he wants it. It's pure exeution without giving it any thought. Just like a Master Craftsman

knows exactly what tool to use for the job he's doing because he spent many years as an Apprentice, Journeyman, and

has now become a Master himself.

Is it me or does Bon sound like BB King? vibrato etc sounds the same. He's definatly more 'new school' that Clapton.

Lashurst, I was thinkin' the same thing. Joe Bon's vibrato sure had that B.B. King finesse to it. Maybe, too, that

he was using a Gibson with humbuckers, even though a Les Paul, it had that fatter sound Like B.B.'s Lucille, where

Eric's Strat doesn't. I wonder why Eric stopped using Gibsons. During his Cream days he emminated some great

sounds out of that ES-335 and/or SG he had.

Archived