Gibson Brands Forums

Slash's three minute solo....

daveinspain

i like [biggrin]. whatever peolpe say about slash...he does know how to rock!!!

on a side note, i went to see the "uk" guns n roses two nights ago...they rocked too! and they played this song spot on aswell [lol]

three points if you can guess what there guitarist is called?

What boring guitar playing. Predictable and like a 'saturday night' band. I used to play s**t solo's like that when I was 18. I'm 51 now.

How can people get off on him. He's a second rate player.

Steve lukather would suck him up and blow him out in bubbles.

He's not fit to lick Gary Moores boots.

I can't believe he comes top in polls.

What boring guitar playing. Predictable and like a 'saturday night' band. I used to play s**t solo's like that when I was 18. I'm 51 now.

This could get interesting....

You sir, have failed. :-

That was badass. Slash rules! ,,/ ^o^ ,,/

You sir' date=' have failed. :)

That was badass. Slash rules! ,,/ ^o^ ,,/[/quote']

I've not failed. Sir.

You're easily pleased and led like a sheep.

That performance was second rate and Slash is an average player.

As I've posted before. Succesful groups are a group of people that blend well and make a GROUP!

Guns and Roses were a group that worked.

Slash is average. But exelled within a group.

As a solo artist he's second rate.

Is he as good as... Luke? Moore? May? Satriani? Vai? Clapton?. Beck?

Not a chance.

He's a fashion statement. That I give you. But a top hat, curly hair and image don't make a great guitarist.

I've not failed. Sir.

As I've posted before. Succesful groups are a group of people that blend well and make a GROUP!

Not a chance.

He's a fashion statement. That I give you. But a top hat' date=' curly hair and image don't make a great guitarist.

[/quote']

i agree with a lot of the above BUT...as i said he knows how to rock and maybe it's because of his image that's imprinted in peoples minds ( the whole G n R thing ) same as keith richard...he ain't the greatest guitarist iv'e ever heard but he has that rolling stones image that people adore :)

I've not failed. Sir.

Not a chance.

He's a fashion statement. That I give you. But a top hat' date=' curly hair and image don't make a great guitarist.

[/quote']

Average? I don't think so. Maybe he's not incredible, maybe not even great in the eyes of some critics (such as yourself), but Slash is and always will be a good guitarist. He put on a good show and he played well, no major playing errors in comparison to the album version, and it sounded good too. To say he's an average player is a joke. His riffs have style, feeling, and have influenced the whole world. His work with Guns N' Roses was revolutionary and defined hard rock for that generation. He has tried many different styles throughout his years and has done well. Even his music from the Guns N' Roses days was very diverse, ranging from titles such as Paradise City, to Welcome to the Jungle, to slower songs like Estranged. His songs now aren't necessarily top notch, but that's because the world wants Guns N' Roses music, and people don't want anything new. He excelled within Guns N' Roses because he's a great guitarist and had the right people to work with. He's just not so lucky now.

And yes he is a fashion statement, better yet an international rock icon. I don't think I've met a kid over age 9 that did not know who Slash is. He influences young children to pick up a guitar and the music he has made will last for several generations.

Have a little respect for the man is all I'm asking. He's sold more records than anybody in this forum has (unless somebody is secretly some class act musician and isn't letting on).

Oh and by the way, speaking of overrated guitarists, let's mention Satriani, Vai, Clapton, and Beck. They've had a few good songs but nothing as good as what Slash put out in his time.

I've just watched that video and it's totally lame. All they do is kiddie lines. There's nothing technical in that at all. I went to advise a 13 year old a couple of years ago. He was way above slash on ability. His dad had taught him. My grief with players like slash is that they just play the same thing over and over. Simple licks that any pub band player would do. He's just a poser. I've listened to his solo stuff on you tube tonight. Rubbish. If he walked into a record company office with that as an unknown. They'd kick him out as fast as he walked in. Surely others must agree with me? Or is this an age thing? I'm 51. How old are you all?

I wouldn't say guns and roses or slash have had a fraction of the influence of Clapton. I put in my earlier post that as a band they were good. I wouldn't say they were better that aerosmith or Bon jovi. Nor had more hits. My point is proven by his poor solo stuff. The guitarists I've put are proven solo players. Plus people like Neal schon raise the level again.

Average? I don't think so. Maybe he's not incredible' date=' maybe not even great in the eyes of some critics (such as yourself), but Slash is and always will be a good guitarist. He put on a good show and he played well, no major playing errors in comparison to the album version, and it sounded good too. To say he's an average player is a joke. His riffs have style, feeling, and have influenced the whole world. His work with Guns N' Roses was revolutionary and defined hard rock for that generation. He has tried many different styles throughout his years and has done well. Even his music from the Guns N' Roses days was very diverse, ranging from titles such as Paradise City, to Welcome to the Jungle, to slower songs like Estranged. His songs now aren't necessarily top notch, but that's because the world wants Guns N' Roses music, and people don't want anything new. He excelled within Guns N' Roses because he's a great guitarist and had the right people to work with. He's just not so lucky now.

And yes he is a fashion statement, better yet an international rock icon. I don't think I've met a kid over age 9 that did not know who Slash is. He influences young children to pick up a guitar and the music he has made will last for several generations.

Have a little respect for the man is all I'm asking. He's sold more records than anybody in this forum has (unless somebody is secretly some class act musician and isn't letting on).[/quote']

This part I totally agree with! [cool]

Oh and by the way' date=' speaking of overrated guitarists, let's mention [i'][/i]Satriani, Vai, Clapton, and Beck. They've had a few good songs but nothing as good as what Slash put out in his time.

However, this part is very very disturbing. [bored] Such guitarists listed here like Eric Clapton and Jeff Beck are far more talented than Slash. Yes, Slash is a beast. No, he is not as good as Clapton or Beck! [-(

However' date=' this part is very very disturbing. [lol Such guitarists listed here like Eric Clapton and Jeff Beck are far more talented than Slash. Yes, Slash is a beast. No, he is not as good as Clapton or Beck! :-k

I wouldn't go as far as to say that he is a better guitar player, that would be foolish, but I do think that they haven't churned out as many good hit songs as Slash has. I agree that they are influential and very talented, but I just don't see that in their music, as I struggle to like even a handful of their songs.

And I'm not a complete hard rock fanatic either, I like my blues, just I don't feel that their music compares to Slash's GNR records when it comes to popularity and my personal musical taste.

Archived