Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Replacement Pickguards???

houvin

I think (and it always gets me in trouble when I do that) that those thick, bevel-edged beauties they put on out in Bozeman must be around .060 or so.

Anyone more knowledgable than me know for sure the thickness on a Gibson Acoustic pickguard these days?

Uncle Buck

I think (and it always gets me in trouble when I do that) that those thick' date=' bevel-edged beauties they put on out in Bozeman must be around .060 or so.

Anyone more knowledgable than me know for sure the thickness on a Gibson Acoustic pickguard these days?

Uncle Buck[/quote']

I'll try to get a measurement of them tomorrow evening.

Buck, I just had an idea. I took playing cards and found the number of cards closest to the thickness of the pickguard on the Hummingbird. 5 cards was close. I then measured the thickness of 50 cards with a ruler, and that was ~9/16" or ~0.56". So, the 5 cards are 1/10 of that, or ~0.056. Some errors in my technique, but this leads me to believe that the Hummingbird pickguard is probably 0.060.

houvin, if you look at the thick pickguards Gibson is using now, that'll give you a idea of what 0.060 is like.

I put the one that Uncle Buck mentions from Terrapin on my J-45. It's 0.060, nicely beveled and is remeniscent of the early 50's pickguards they use. I think it looks great. Terrapin is in Eugene, Oregon, 40 miles down the road from where I live. Call the guy and talk to him, he's a good guy and informative. Oh, yeah, I opted for the tortoise.

Buck' date=' I just had an idea. I took playing cards and found the number of cards closest to the thickness of the pickguard on the Hummingbird. 5 cards was close. I then measured the thickness of 50 cards with a ruler, and that was ~9/16" or ~0.56". So, the 5 cards are 1/10 of that, or ~0.056. Some errors in my technique, but this leads me to believe that the Hummingbird pickguard is probably 0.060.

houvin, if you look at the thick pickguards Gibson is using now, that'll give you a idea of what 0.060 is like.[/quote']

Greg, are you sure your last name isn't "MacGyver"? Now that was pretty clever, I have to remember that trick.

Yeah, the fifties thick ones look good and now that Greg and TWilson have sort of confirmed things, I'm pretty sure the ones I'm talking about are .060. I stop by the Terrapin site now and then and contemplate customizing my Epi Masterbilts, LOL!

Uncle Buck

Greg' date=' are you sure your last name isn't "MacGyver"? Now that was pretty clever, I have to remember that trick.

Uncle Buck[/quote']

LOL. Interesting that you use MacGyver, since I am a physicist.

Yeah, I'm thinking of using one of those pickguards on my J-45. I love my J-45 Rosewood, except for the pickguard. It is so thin and cheap looking, and I can stare at it real hard Uri Geller style and put scratches in it. :-)

LOL. Interesting that you use MacGyver' date=' since I am a physicist.[/quote']

Thanks to the Second Law of Thermodynamics and the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle, I live in a world that's falling apart around me and I have no idea where I am as I walk through life. And I once actually sprained my brain reading the General Theory of Relativity...

Uncle Buck

Thanks to the Second Law of Thermodynamics and the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle' date=' I live in a world that's falling apart around me and I have no idea where I am as I walk through life. And I once actually sprained my brain reading the General Theory of Relativity...

Uncle Buck[/quote']

That's pretty funny.

I find that as I get older I get more fond of Hamilton's Principle of Least Action.

• 8 months later...

I'm not even completely sure that Gibson would sell you one unless it's going on a Hummingbird which already has one of those type of guards on it now. I know they don't like to have their specialty pickguards going out where people will put them on different guitars. Even though the Hummingbird artist is called a "Hummingbird model", it's not the regular Hummingbird. You'll just have to ask a Gibson dealer to find out, but don' t be surprised if they tell you that they can't sell you one.

• 11 years later...

I just had a 1966 Gibson Dove restored by a local luthier , and Gibson said they do not sell the pick guards separately.  You can ship the guitar to Gibson's Repair and Restoration department, and they will install a new pick guard.  They said I would need to ship it to them for an estimate, but it would probably be between $350 and $450.  I assume you'd have to pay shipping both ways, or at the very least to them.

https://www.gibson.com/Support/Repair-And-Restoration

Oh... and the original is fairly thick, I assume the .060.  But my guess is that's to accommodate the inlays.  The thinner one will probably sound better.

Edited by RPB

12 hours ago, E-minor7 said:

Seldom if ever have I seen so important components - and such a rich inventory - presented so sparsely. . . 

A polite way of putting it. . . some looking into the internet shows just how small of an operation Terrapin is/was, and has unfortunately, gotten smaller.

1 hour ago, fortyearspickn said:

Maybe they do now.  That was 12 years ago.  

The initial visit to the site had me wondering if that is what web pages looked like just 12 years ago. On Terrapin's pickguards page there is a "Copyright 2020"- maybe the template for the page automatically inserts the current year there?