Gibson Brands Forums

Question on tone

olman

I recently installed a 57 classic, & a 57classic plus genuine Gibson pickups, plus a complete Mojo wiring harness in my Les Paul Classic. I like it very much, however, the tone is a liitle too dark for me. It has .022 caps, and I`m wondeing if adifferent value would brighten it up. It`s not muddyness I`m talking about, but just darkness. Can any one offer they`re opinions , and experiance, in similar situations? I don`t know exactly what type or make the caps are in the Mojo Kit. Would I go greater or smallervalue to brighten it up? I love the guitar, not exactly a novice. I`ve also installed all swithcraft accesoreys. Experianced opinions appreciated

Good question, however, Pickups are only a small piece in the overall sound equation. Other things to consider are the Amp(s) your running through.

I think the Amp is and should be the main source to adjust one's tone.

Granted LP's are going to and should sound 'darker' in contrast to Strats. The combination of MaHOG bodies and Humbuckers are going to give you that.

However with the much wider variety of amps, speakers and cabinet styles out there are more of a determinant in one's tone. Amps can and will color the over all tone, albeit as a result of the circuitry, Tube vs SS, EQ/Tone settings. Different speakers will add more coloration, some will sound more bright than others. Additionally the cabinet will once again add another ingredient to the mix. The woods use, the contruction, the type (Open vs Closed back) will, in my opinion, influence one's over all tone more than the given type of guitar being used....in this case an LP. But don't get me wrong, a Strat always sounds like a Strat likewise with an LP... 99% of the time.

So often I see and read about folks that are convinced that changing out their pickups will magically alter their tone to their liking and then aren't so happy with the results.

I don't know where I heard or read this, but it goes something like:

A good amp will make a budget guitar sound good. Not the other way around.

;) :-k

Yeah Dagwood, I know all that. The simple question was upper or lower on the caps. I have a Peavey Classic 30, infinetly adjustable, That I run it through. All Genuine Gibby 500 K pots, Genuine wiring etc. I have been around the block. Too much info and a superior attitude are sometimes too much. Thank you just the same

Yeah Dagwood' date=' I know all that. The simple question was upper or lower on the caps. I have a Peavey Classic 30, infinetly adjustable, That I run it through. All Genuine Gibby 500 K pots, Genuine wiring etc. I have been around the block. Too much info and a superior attitude are sometimes too much. Thank you just the same[/quote']

Not trying to Give you any attitude...and surely nothing superior....just trying to help. I just see so many newbies think that changing out their picks ups will do something magical for them when I think its a misnomer.

Glad that your one who knows exactly what they want. ;) :-k

Too much info and a superior attitude are sometimes too much. Thank you just the same

If you think that's too much info, and a superior attitude (and I don't see it) then you aint seen nothin yet on this forum!!

Invite all your buddies over for a jam (those who own a similar guitar with different pickups). Compare them side by side. Now, crank the amp up to performance level. Sounds better, doesn't it? It's all amp drive, picking technique, and personal taste...

Thank you garylcrtt, that was the simple answer I was looking for. I may try that to lighten up on the tone. I`m not looking for a Strat tone out of my LP. I have a strat for that purpose. I may be a relative newbie on the board, but i`m not a newbie to guitars or any other thing for that matter. at damn near 70 years of age. Short on patience foir more info than asked for. Like I said, I have a Mojo harness, pretested befor shipment, if you folks are up on them. They are all made of genuine Gibson stuff. I know just a pickup swap is not going to change every thing magically. Been tweaking my amp for two months, raise and lower the pickups, and all the above mentioned . Still too dark for my old ears. It`s a great guitar, I just am trying to sweeten it up a bit I don`t post often, not one to run off at the chin. I apologize if I have offended anyone

SERIOUSLY - No attitude here but I'm just curious.. How many of you are currently or have been professional musicians? Playing five to seven nights a week for years with just one guitar certainly will teach you how to control the sound you want to play on most everything from jazz to rock.

...and would have been chased away again fairly quickly if some folks had their way at the time ;^)

To pick up on JEPI's point.

I don't think that you necessarilly have to be a regularly gigging musician to know good tone when you hear it...but it does raise a significant point.

That glorious "boutique" tone that you strive for when playing at home or in the studio isn't necessarilly the same sound which will cut through the mix and find its place on the band stand.

I started playing music in the back street bars in Miami back in the 60`s. Back in my hippy days. Drums back then. Guitars off and on for 25 years. I guess I`ve owned almost every type in that time. Finally settled on what I have. I wasn`t any happier with pryor Gibsons. This Epi is everything I need. I have others also.. I am always looking to improve tone. And I don`t care what anyone thinks of it. It only has to satisfy me.at home. I`ll probably never gig again. And I don`t care about that either. This is my hobby and my greates enjoyable pastime, and being retired I have many pastimes. Thanks for all the replies

olman222. Being that you played from the 60's onward, you certainly were exposed to the standards, blues, jazz etc.etc. and on to really exciting and creative music.. Tone is a critical and sometimes illusive issue and I like you am completely satisfied with the wide and versatile range of the Epiphones and my 10 or so Gibsons now are in the hands of others.. Hope your hobby keeps you satisfied.......J

Archived