Gibson Brands Forums

LP Studio for a Second Guitar?

alcorn429

I'm new here and have only been playing guitar for about two months. I'm totally hooked. I probably play atleast two hours a night and usually more. My only complaint is that I've been playing on a squier affinity strat and I don't really like the way that it feels or sounds for that matter. It was gift from my parents for christmas back when I was in high school...6 years ago. Went over to Guitar Center today and spent about two hours there just trying out different guitars.

Tried the LP-Special II, LP-100, LP-Studio, LP-Standard, LP-Custom, afew epiphone SGs, afew fenders (a strat a tele and a jag) and then afew Ibanez. I kept coming back to the LP-Studio and the LP-Custom because of the feel and tone. I'm really leaning toward the Studio because of the price being in my budget and the fact that it had a slightly "darker" tone to it than the others. Any thoughts on whether this would make a decent second guitar?

Also, can someone explain to me why the custom and the studio would have such different tones?

I personally am of the belief that any of the guitars you mentioned would be exellent second guitars, but I, nor anyone else for that matter can tell you what would be best, thats something only you can decide, and you shouldn't let anyone's opinion sway you, because it's just that, an opinion. You get what feels right, and what you can afford, period.

Alcorn429,

I have the LP Studio...really like it...same as the standard just without the frills...you can also ask Twang and Tulsaslim about the Studio...great guitars for the money I think. After a while of playing and finding out what sound you want, the Studio is easy to upgrade also, but the stock pick ups aren't bad...I still have mine totally stock...I like the way it sounds as is.

Good luck

Captmidnight

yep.

does the custom have a maple cap? that's why they put them on there, you know. to lighten the tone a bit. and it's lighter wood, too, I believe.

I bought the studio on a lark.. just wanted to see how good it was.. got it on sale.. planned on dinking around with it, make a few small improvements and then selling it.

Aint gonna happen!

I've got twenty or so guitars, and this one's on the stand everyday.

And if I were a humbuck guy, those epi stock pups are pretty darn good. Probably wouldn't have changed them, but I go for p90s.

I got this old Epi Les Paul Studio real cheap on Ebay one time.

I was expecting it to be not very good at all cause it was so cheap. ($270 shipped with hardshell case).

But it plays really nice.

Then I put in some Gibson Burstbucker PRO pickups.

I installed Grover tuners and a GFS bridge.

Now this guitar is completely SMOKIN!!

DSC03171.jpg

Archived