Gibson Brands Forums

Lenny Kravitz plays an Epi

Trojon

I was watching the MHD channel earlier today and they were showing Lenny Kravitz unplugged. He was singing "Be" and playing some sort of Epiphone Hollowbody. Not sure which model perhaps someone can enlighten me. I'll post a link to the video of it. That guy can really put on a show and I wasnt familiar with all of those songs.

http://www.vh1.com/video/play.jhtml?id=1580934&vid=207458

He's been known to use an Epiphone in studio as well.

Lenny: There's definitely an old school element to my music, but I also think it's modern as well. You know, it's funny, we were playing with some people once and they said, "Wow, how did you get that tone and that effect?" And I said, "Well, you plug an Epiphone into a tweed Deluxe and you turn it up to ten and that's it." It's just using classic pieces of gear that sound great, straight. That's what gets that sound. It is what it is.

ps. I'm going to see Lenny in June, I'll give you an update on his Epiphones after that :)

Definitely a Sorrento in that clip. It's one of the vintage ones with mini humbuckers. Epiphone reissued these a few years back, but with P90s. The P90s made them more similar to a Gibson ES-125, which was the Gibby equivelant of the Sorrento back in the 60s and always had P90s.

Archived