Gibson Brands Forums

Need some advice

alcorn429

Since I'm just kinda starting out I decided to sign up for a workshop where you are put into a band with other people around your age and then you play a 5-10 minute show infront of a 100-150 people. I got stuck with a Rhthym guitarist that only has an acoustic and I only have electrics. This guy wants to play stuff like Buffett and while I like that music just fine i'd rather play something with more of a rock and blues feel to it. I was thinking of suggesting some tom petty or I had an idea about some zztop and lynyrd skynyrd songs. I just can';t think of any of any songs that really incorporate the two types of sounds. Any thoughts on songs I might look at? I kind of want to stay away from country.

Maybe something from the Eagles. IMO they ride that line between country and rock about as tight as anyone.

I don't know what your skillsets are, but Eagles tunes would probably be a little easier to pull off than either ZZ or Skynyrd too.

Sounds like fun. Keep us posted on how it goes.

Intersting concept. With out knowing your skills it is hard to suggest. How long do you have to prepare? I guess you get to play maybe 2 or 3 songs, right? Why not something easy like Neil Young, Down by the River; Eric Clapton, Promises, or even Pink Floyd, Mother.... Work up an arrangement that you can pull off, don't try to copy the record......

Hello Alcorn,

I haven't heard too many acoustic songs that could not be done electric or vise-verse. Combination of the two can be very creative. You did say this was a workshop, Right? Why not pick songs that you both like and give the audience something they may not have heard before. Do your own electro-acoustic version of a couple of songs that have never been done that way. I got a standing ovation by 1,500 people once by playing Purple Haze on a classical guitar as a solo act. Maybe that's why you got pared (not stuck) with him. (MAYBE) your instructor has that much faith in you.

The guy really wants to play Margaritaville and pretty much all I know is stuff like hendrix, zepplin, gnr, acdc, etc. I've talked to the instructor and I guess they guy isn't that confident in his abilities. So what my instructor and I are thinking is maybe put kind of a metal edge on it and then follow it with maybe, and this was my idea, La Grange but zztop or possibly some other tune.

The other thing I was thinking about is my brother has an 6 string acoustic and my father's wife has a 12 string both of which are never played. So I might end up borrowing one of them but I just got my LP Studio so I don't really want to do that but I'll consider it.

dude, who cares?

Play some black sabbath or scorpions, or some alice cooper (actually cooper would be easy for this). Play something really heavy. Play something that's not even in the same genre! Sit down with the guitars, put your electric into an amp (valve junior with a bitmo trio mod has my eye, you could use a solid state with a blues pedal though), run clean with a little overdrive or overdrive it into sweet blues. Go easy on him, he's got an acoustic; hell, plug the sound hole with a $70 acoustic pickup and amp him with an amp that delivers sparkly cleans if you want.

Now go play. It doesn't matter that this was all death metal with a ripping hot solo and an angry rhythm, you can still play it with a singing lead and a mellow but upbeat acoustic rhythm. Just roll it around until you find the feel.

Um, might I suggest some Beatles or Stones? Lots of their best known and best loved songs had acoustic rhythm guitar with electric lead. The combination sounds great!

And you don't have to imitate the record either --- part of the reason those songs are still popular after all this time is that they lend themselves to so many ways of interpreting. Whatever songs you choose, make 'em your own!

Charlie Daniels? You might as well suggest Devil Went Down to Georgia while you're at it' date=' mandatory encore if you touch that territory. Look at Steve Ouimette's rendition if you don't believe me ;)[/quote']

I think he means "Simple Man" by Skynyrd, BFI.... Which is a good suggestion... Not too difficult, and an acoustic would fit right in...

Many Jethro Tull songs incorporate both acoustic an electric as well, and they're not all complicated either... A great many of them are, but you don't have to play Aqualung or Thick as a Brick... The Beatles was a great suggestion too.. But I really liked the suggestion of taking something and doing your own arrangement of it... Do it in a way that no one's ever heard it played... One time I came across this video on YouTube of a trio of South American kids playing "Subdivisions" by Rush on classical guitars... It sounded great!

Archived