Gibson Brands Forums

Strings again

bluefoxicy

I recently decided to go to light strings (0.009 - 0.042) after finding out how hard it is to bend at fret 2. They feel really nice but I got some Fender Super Bullets, which don't sound so great compared to my DR Tite-Fits (they have a LOVELY mellow sound but I loved the tone of the DRs)

I'm looking at DR Hi-Beams, these specifically:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/DR-Strings-LTR9-HiBeam-Nickel-Light-Electric-Guitar-Strings?sku=101142

I've also been tempted by DR Red Devils/Hot Pink/Black Beauty, but they're coated and something about that irks me. I hear they have a wonderful tone and feel but ...

Any comments?

Personally, I'm a little shy about coated strings, unless I know what they are coated with. After all, fingers do absorb much of what they touch. And I touch my strings every day.

I tried plastic coated reeds on the sax a long time ago, and I realized they were making my tongue numb, so I haven't gone for any coated products since.

I liked the response of the plastic coated reeds, and the numbness wore off as the reed aged, but I started thinking about ingesting the plastic and decided it is better to be safe than sorry.

Insights and incites by Notes

Notes-Norton said: "Personally, I'm a little shy about coated strings"

Almost all the treated strings feel funny to me. The only ones I like at all are Martin Cryogenics, and they're not coated. As acoustic strings, they fit the style and tone of a Martin Dreadnaught perfectly. Tried them on my smaller Eastman AR800 (more of an 000 style), didn't care for it. Way to bright for a guitar that loves ballads as much as this does.

DR strings, specially tite-fit, seem to have the brightest, cleanest sound ever. Throw those on a strat ;P I'm putting these on a les paul though but they sound nice.. I haven't tried some of the fancy super-marketed "silver plated steel hex core corrosion treated non-wearing super strings" that some people sell...

I'm not a fan of coated strings on electrics, but I have Elixir Polywebs on my Epi AJ-15 and I like them. I probably wouldn't bother if I were a primarily acoustic player, but since I only grab it from time to time, I appreciate how long they last.

Archived