Gibson Brands Forums

epi sg juniors...

I'm not sure why people don't like bolt on necks, none of my Fender's suck because of them. Besides, it makes refinishing or neck repair a LOT easier. I wouldn't want my Paul's to lose their set necks but I won't hate on other guitars for their bolt ons.

Considering the appropriate neck angles etc, with Epiphone's materials and "level of commitment" to bolt on necks I don't believe that they can make the same quality Gibson style guitars with bolt on necks as with set necks.

On the other hand, on a strat style guitar the bolt on neck isn't probably a bad thing at all.

Suplex it was me!!!! I was going to wait to tell everyone when I had it in hand and could show pics.

But the cat is out of the bag. I gave the winning bid with only 11 seconds to go. It WAS a battle!

But I won!!! Sorry if it was one of you guys on here. Suplex, Thanks sooooo much!!!!!

I can't wait to get her!!!!

Brad

Seriously???

Oh man that rules!!! I couldn't be happier for you! I really love mine and Jerry got a nice one too recently that I spotted cheap, you did pretty good on yours since they have been in sort of a demand.

Also, found Gary's 'Lil Christian' one day and he grabbed it and loves it! It feels good knowing I helped find some cool Epi's some good solid homes...Life has gotten a little crazier for me these days, but anytime I spot something you know I'll always send it here first!

Awesome bro! O:)

Soon you will be staring at this...

6e3d_1.JPG

I'm not sure why people don't like bolt on necks' date=' none of my Fender's suck because of them. Besides, it makes refinishing or neck repair a LOT easier. I wouldn't want my Paul's to lose their set necks but I won't hate on other guitars for their bolt ons.[/quote']

The thing is, an SG loses a certain amount of its character when it is converted to a bolt neck. Unlike a Les Paul, which can be made as a bolt neck with no visible changes, an SG doesn't have a nice big block under the end of the neck to use as a mounting point, so, they usually end up adding material to the body and also they tend to re-position the neck by about four frets and you lose that legendary upper fret access that the SG is renowned for, plus you have to re-position the bridge and tailpiece to keep the intonation in whack as well, so you pretty much take away that true SG 'look and feel'; they just don't balance the same way. Another member was asking about installing the long Maestro vibrato on a bolt-neck G-310 and the consensus was that it would not fit due to this displacement of the neck.

The thing is' date=' an SG loses a certain amount of its character when it is converted to a bolt neck. Unlike a Les Paul, which can be made as a bolt neck with no visible changes, an SG doesn't have a nice big block under the end of the neck to use as a mounting point, so, they usually end up adding material to the body and also they tend to re-position the neck by about four frets and you lose that legendary upper fret access that the SG is renowned for, plus you have to re-position the bridge and tailpiece to keep the intonation in whack as well, so you pretty much take away that true SG 'look and feel'; they just don't balance the same way. Another member was asking about installing the long Maestro vibrato on a bolt-neck G-310 and the consensus was that it would not fit due to this displacement of the neck.[/quote']

Yep. Totally true. Although there was something about these 97 SG Juniors that has a different feel to them than the recent Hbucker ones I played. But when I pickup my G400 setneck it's a totally different and much nicer feel. Much greater sustain! I really wish and still hope they come out with a setneck 62 RI of the SG Jr.

Hey Rotcan don't you have a bunch of those Juniors still around? (I thought you may have had an SG Junior as well) Pics? [-o<

The thing is' date=' an SG loses a certain amount of its character when it is converted to a bolt neck. Unlike a Les Paul, which can be made as a bolt neck with no visible changes, an SG doesn't have a nice big block under the end of the neck to use as a mounting point, so, they usually end up adding material to the body and also they tend to re-position the neck by about four frets and you lose that legendary upper fret access that the SG is renowned for, plus you have to re-position the bridge and tailpiece to keep the intonation in whack as well, so you pretty much take away that true SG 'look and feel'; they just don't balance the same way. Another member was asking about installing the long Maestro vibrato on a bolt-neck G-310 and the consensus was that it would not fit due to this displacement of the neck.[/quote']

Dittos, Spud! I totally agree. The only thing that I did not like about my late 60's Gibby SG (now long gone!) is that it was soooo neck heavy. Even though my son's Epi SG Special is not in the same league with the Gibby it "feels" more comfortable to play because of the very displacement you mentioned.

By the way Brad, congrats on the JR, I was lurking on that one but I didn't bid, please post some pics when you get her!

Yep. Totally true. Although there was something about these 97 SG Juniors that has a different feel to them than the recent Hbucker ones I played. But when I pickup my G400 setneck it's a totally different and much nicer feel. Much greater sustain! I really wish and still hope they come out with a setneck 62 RI of the SG Jr.

Hey Rotcan don't you have a bunch of those Juniors still around? (I thought you may have had an SG Junior as well) Pics? [-o<

Here's one for you Suplex. It's a Gibby but it won't break the piggy bank!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Gorgeous-2006-Gibson-SG-Junior-with-P90-Discontinued_W0QQitemZ170206931244QQihZ007QQcategoryZ47073QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Yeah Amino thanks, the recent ones they are cool. I have thought about getting one and I still might.

Gary has one and praises it. But I may be holding out for a true 62, not anytime soon but it is a long term goal of mine. I love the PG from that era which is probably why I love the Epi I have from 97.

I have a pair of the LP Doublecut juniors. I had a chance to grab one of the last SG Juniors but I let it slip through my fingers.

That guy is some kind of maroon with that 'buy it now' price; way too low IMO. He should have just let it go' date=' who knows how much that thing will go for?[/quote']

Agreed. I saw some in the 7000+ range and his looks clean. [-o<

By the way Brad' date=' congrats on the JR, I was lurking on that one but I didn't bid, please post some pics when you get her![/quote']

I certainly will post some pics. And thanks Amino for the congrats, and for not bidding!

I keep gassing back and forth between an Elitist SG standard and these cool bolt neck P90 juniors that pop up.

The juniors would make a great slide axe IMHO. I also watch the Gibby Melody Makers that were produced somewhere between 2000-2006 that have the LP Jr body with 1 P90 and the tunamatic.

Gonna pull the trigger sooner or later.

There's a guy here local with a Gibby faded special cherry with a hard case for sale at $550.

That's not bad but after owning an Elitist LP I just have that "need" for an Elitist SG.

Can't explain it. I don't need no doctor, just a SG.

Speaking of "no doctor" I just watched a YouTube of Humble Pie Live from 1971 and Steve Marriot is playing a Epi Coronet with a single P90 while Mr. Frampton appears to be playing a cherry 335. Wish I coulda been there!

Sorry for the ADD post. I'm home from work today due to sickness and the medication is working =P~

Yeah, that's the ticket Spud.

Redheads always get me in trouble!

I can't stop looking at her curves!

I tell my wife that I buy the guitar magazines for the articles and lessons but we all know it's the photos!

=P~

Archived