Gibson Brands Forums

Question For Spud ( Or anyone else who may can help )

sexygibson

I just changed the strings for the first time on my Elitist SG that I picked up off the bay. Man, it was like a work out ! It didnt help that whomever had put the strings on obviously didn't know much about stringing a guitar.

The big problem was the tuners were extremly tight. I've never had a guita that I felt the need to change the tuners but I think I'm gonna change these out.

Question is; what good tuners can I purchase that I can drop right in ?

Just about anything since you have the 10mm holes; the only deal is with the holes in the back of the headstock.

I swapped out mine for 18:1 'USA' Grovers in nickel and I ended up having to fill the old screw holes with round toothpicks and then drilling new ones; once the new tuners are in place you can't see anything. The nickel really goes well since it matches all the other hardware... and the 'USA' Grovers are smoother, with thinner buttons and longer string posts, but they are getting to be hard to find (I think our distributor has run out of stock and is now shipping the same Korean stuff that's on Epiphones).

elitehead.jpg

Have you tried loosening the screws on the buttons a tad? Sounds like they're just too tight.

I just changed the strings for the first time on my Elitist SG that I picked up off the bay. Man' date=' it was like a work out ! It didnt help that whomever had put the strings on obviously didn't know much about stringing a guitar.

The big problem was the tuners were extremly tight. I've never had a guita that I felt the need to change the tuners but I think I'm gonna change these out.

Question is; what good tuners can I purchase that I can drop right in ?[/quote']

I think your Elitist will take a set of Grovers without drilling.

I'd vote for locking since they make string changes so dang easy.

57.20 list in chrome.

pm me in here I'm just making a tuner order and I'll give you a better deal than online.

though it will be called spamming by some!

43.60 non locking in nickel and I'll beat that, too.

I don't know the Elitists tuning machines.. I'll have to look up a pic of the back.

But if you want I can check around and find Gotohs or some other brand that might have matching screw points.

TWANG

you can loosen the screw at the tuning peg end and that can help with tightness.

I'm surprised an Elitists tuners would be bad!

Thanks to Spud and all who replied. I'll try loosening the screws. I wouldn't have thought they could be that tight but that makes sense.

Oh, and Twang; I'll contact you before buying anywhere else. Thanks again guys....................

Archived