Gibson Brands Forums

Smokin' Guitar Playing

SkEpTiKaL

Was just cruising through the 'bay checking out Epiphones when I stumbled upon this.

Link

Can you really see someone ripping out a guitar solo and their guitar starts smoking? Haha, just watching the video made it kind of funny. Tell me what you think.

-Haven't you guys ever heard of Ace Frehley??? He's the only reason I ever bought a Les Paul. Seeing him as a kid ripping guitar solos and then the smoke pouring out. Man, what an impact on young, innocent minds! Here's a video of KISS back in the 70's when they messed my mind up. I think the smoking guitar starts around 2:30. Enjoy.......

L8R,

Matt D.

-You better freakin' believe it!! I was in the KISS Army when I was a youngin' too... Ah' date=' the memories of getting into fights at school because some of the disco freaks started knocking on KISS.

L8R,

Matt D.[/quote']

F em bro! KISS RULES!!!

-You better freakin' believe it!! I was in the KIS Army when I was a youngin' too... Ah' date=' the memories of getting into fights at school because some of the disco freaks started knocking on KISS.

L8R,

Matt D.[/quote']

I was an unofficial member myself, but I have some of the exact same memories!

I hated getting this question from the disco crowd, "Do you know what KISS stands for?"

I got in a lot of verbal confrontations over that one.

Ace and the guys never really got the respect they deserved, in my opinion.

Couldn't that damage your guitar?

I read an interview with Ace Frehley, discussing when he first tried this effect. At that time, it was nothing more than a smoke bomb inside the electronic cavity with the wick sticking out. At the right time he would go out of view a bit to light the wick, and off it went. He said smoke came out of all pickups and the toggle, but it ended up destroying the wiring of the guitar.

I wonder if he ever considered a patent for this....or even if you could patent it. Gene Simmons criticized him for not patenting the lightning bolt guitar strap- that was apparently Ace's design, and he never followed through with it.

Archived