Gibson Brands Forums

Severe GAS

Over the last couple of weeks I've developed a severe case of GAS for an MXR Carbon Copy delay pedal...

(As soon as that extra tax check comes in, that is.)

To the point that I'm going to wire up an F/X loop on the amp tomorrow at work(the reverb pedal needs to go in the loop anyway).

Has anyone tried it yet? (especially with the Valve Jr.)

Most of the reviews I've seen were good, but none were from Jr. owners.

Opinions/reviews appreciated.

I think the tone loss from the effects loop combined with the tone loss associated mass-produced pedals lacking a true-bypass will leave you completely underwhelmed... speaking from experience. I strictly focus on true-bypass boutique effects to complement the great tone of tube amps. These effects are expensive which means my collection is limited.

Not sure about the delay' date=' but I think you're gonna find that very few traditional guitar effects pedals like to be in fx loops.

Gil...[/quote']

Very true Gil, and the Jr. works very well with stompboxes plugged straight in, but I was always under the impression that time based effects (reverbs, delays, etc.) work really well in an FX loop also.

Any thoughts?

Anyway if the F/X loop sucks I can undo it.

In and of themselves, time based effects, especially reverb do indeed work best AFTER DISTORTION.

However, don't read too much into this minor factoid and assume this means all fx boxes work best in a loop. Each fx box must be considered as a whole unit, including input buffers and output drivers. If the design will mate up with a line level input signal AND provide unity gain or better at the output, AND sound good doing it, then great. Think rack effects box! Otherwise it's just your average stomp pedal and belongs in front of the amp with a guitar level signal.

Furthermore, consider the amp, too! The VJr doesn't actually have much preamp distortion. It's all in the power tube! So to add time based effects to that, you need a line out off the OT's speaker tap, and a slave amp (with a line level fx loop input) to amplify it. The post-OT line out can be accomplished by adding a simple internal mod to the amp, or by using some external box like the Behringer GI-100.

Gil...

Right! Consider the intro to "Children of the Sun". Starts off with a distorted guitar, sort of in the background but moving to the foreground with synth sounds washing in and around. Can't get that stuff just anywhere. You gotta have a damn good sound engineer! #-o

Gil...

All this said, and I'm not disagreeing with any of it, very few guitarists have used delay more than U2's Edge. Edge's long-time setup was a Korg SDD-3000 (rack unit with line-level ins and outs) straight into an AC30. This setup has also been used by Daniel Lanois...who really knows how to get the sound he wants. So, my point is, rules are not hard and fast. It depends on what you're doing. Its a fair point that The Edge and Lanois sound is not highly distorted but its not clean either. In fact they use a boosted output on the SDD to overdrive the AC30 a bit. It kind of goes to the point that it all depends on the specific pieces of gear you are using, as Cgil is saying.

Delays? Few? ??? Better to say something like... Very few do it with an Echoplex like Jimmy Page or Jimmy Hendrix or Steve Miller used to do it. Can't forget the father of tape delays, Les Paul! But copping a modern version of David Gilmore is easy. Got a patch for that! :- Gonna need a few (or a whole backline full) of Voxified VJr's to do it like Brian May, though.

Gil...

Over the last couple of weeks I've developed a severe case of GAS for an MXR Carbon Copy delay pedal...

I've been looking at delay too, thinking either an Ibanez AD9 or build a tube-based reverb box (I'm becoming a 12AX7 purist from messing with it so much....). The AD9 uses ceramic disc caps though, but I can replace those.

Be glad you're going after gear and not drooling over everything you can take a 900 degree soldering iron (entirely too hot!) to. What's the price tag on that delay pedal btw?

The MXR Carbon Copy is $149.00

I don't have one yet.

But I went ahead and wired up the F/X Loop for the reverb...

The only thing I use in the loop ATM is the Marshall Reverb pedal.

The reverb is quite a bit warmer in the loop (pedal doesn't suck tone when its' off since it's true bypass)

I'm gonna keep the loop for now.

It makes a big :)/ on my face every time I plug the Strat up and play The Wind Cries Mary.

I don't use any distortion pedals in the front end, cuz it doesn't need it.

The modded Dunlop Crybaby sounds great plugged straight in the amp.

Archived