Gibson Brands Forums

6th fret buzz

Mr. E

First check that the neck has the correct relief or curvature. Then raise the action until the buzz goes away. If this ends up being too high, you'll need to file down the seventh fret most likely; you may actually need a full fret dress if the condition is extreme.

my guitar has a buzz on the sixth fret? how can i fix it?
Several options available, but more info needed.....a buzz ON the 6th fret ....what string, any or all ?? .... on the 6th fret when played open, or a buzz when played at the 6th fret, and again, which string(s) ??? I'd imagine it to be an easy fix, given enough info....too many variables to issue a blanket solution.

*edit* rotcan beat me to the available options....but it would still help us,to help you, to know the deal...

Here's a way to fix it..

first if your action is low enough.. leave it.

second does it go across the whole fret. buzz on every string. or just on one?

you could have a lifted fret and not need a leveling.

so first you want to identify the problem exactly.

now. you want to look at the fret before you go through these other steps.. and see if it's rounded on top. a flat fret will buzz!

that could be it right there. so compare it's top roundness closely to the others.

If it's ok. then..

check this

if it buzzes across the whole fret. or halfway.. something like that, more than one string next to each other.

then you can look more closely at how the fret sits in the slot.. one end may be visibly higher than the other. not as well seated.

you can use a piece of thin paper.. run the edge along the fret where it meets the board.. can it slip in anywhere?

that would also indicate a not properly seated fret. or one that rose after manufacture.. that happens.

If it's not a poorly seated fret.

do this

use a credit card.. place the cards straight edge so that the buzzy fret is in the middle.. and a fret on either side are touching the card.

if the fret is high.. the card will rock..

then you can assume you have a high fret..

here's a little trick for a single high fret.. some luthiers don't do this, others will.

I do.

you can take any hard flat piece of wood. not soft wood..must be level..

say an inch wide..

tape a piece of 600 or 800 grit wet or dry onto the wood..

use a dry marker and put a line on top of the fret right where it buzzes. that's your high point.

now the wood should only be a few inches long..

scrape it over that fret, even pressure, but not much..

remove that line and then QUIT.

be sure to mask off your pups so no filings fall into their magnets, first!

after you remove the line.. clean it up a bit and then play.. buzz gone?

great.

not gone.. do once more.

the idea is to just level the fret that is too high.

It can be done, just remember that if you use a lot of pressure your filing down the other frets, too.

you will a little, but it shouldn't be enough to hurt.. that's the pressure thing I'm talking about.

Very often spot levelling does the job alone.. sometimes not even needing a crown.

a crown is making the fret round on top. if it were flat it wouldn't play right.

so.. check the crown.

check the fret seating.

check the fret height.

TWANG

Here's a way to fix it..

first if your action is low enough.. leave it.

second does it go across the whole fret. buzz on every string. or just on one?

you could have a lifted fret and not need a leveling.

so first you want to identify the problem exactly.

now. you want to look at the fret before you go through these other steps.. and see if it's rounded on top. a flat fret will buzz!

that could be it right there. so compare it's top roundness closely to the others.

If it's ok. then..

check this

if it buzzes across the whole fret. or halfway.. something like that' date=' more than one string next to each other.

then you can look more closely at how the fret sits in the slot.. one end may be visibly higher than the other. not as well seated.

you can use a piece of thin paper.. run the edge along the fret where it meets the board.. can it slip in anywhere?

that would also indicate a not properly seated fret. or one that rose after manufacture.. that happens.

If it's not a poorly seated fret.

do this

use a credit card.. place the cards straight edge so that the buzzy fret is in the middle.. and a fret on either side are touching the card.

if the fret is high.. the card will rock..

then you can assume you have a high fret..

here's a little trick for a single high fret.. some luthiers don't do this, others will.

I do.

you can take any hard flat piece of wood. not soft wood..must be level..

say an inch wide..

tape a piece of 600 or 800 grit wet or dry onto the wood..

use a dry marker and put a line on top of the fret right where it buzzes. that's your high point.

now the wood should only be a few inches long..

scrape it over that fret, even pressure, but not much..

remove that line and then QUIT.

be sure to mask off your pups so no filings fall into their magnets, first!

after you remove the line.. clean it up a bit and then play.. buzz gone?

great.

not gone.. do once more.

the idea is to just level the fret that is too high.

It can be done, just remember that if you use a lot of pressure your filing down the other frets, too.

you will a little, but it shouldn't be enough to hurt.. that's the pressure thing I'm talking about.

Very often spot levelling does the job alone.. sometimes not even needing a crown.

a crown is making the fret round on top. if it were flat it wouldn't play right.

so.. check the crown.

check the fret seating.

check the fret height.

TWANG[/quote']

Twang, What have you found to be the best (safest) way to reset frets that have begun to raise. I have an older acoustic i need to reset a couple of frets raising on the bottom side of the fretboard. I haven't done this in a while. Thanks.

super glue.

it doesn't hold the fret in. it just fills the wear gaps..

frets have these little fangs. they dig into the board and hold the frets in.

when a fret lifts.. there's a gap..

you fill in the slot with little amounts of superglue.. conentrating on where the fangs bite..

and then you clamp...

radius your clamp to match the board radius.. use as much pressure as you can..

although.. a really tight capo will do it..

I once fixed a guys acoustic using a pencil and rubber bands.

Two years later he was still laughing about it.

I was lucky!

I think Stewmac may have a tutorial on this.. in their free info

super glue.

it doesn't hold the fret in. it just fills the wear gaps..

frets have these little fangs. they dig into the board and hold the frets in.

when a fret lifts.. there's a gap..

you fill in the slot with little amounts of superglue.. conentrating on where the fangs bite..

and then you clamp...

radius your clamp to match the board radius.. use as much pressure as you can..

although.. a really tight capo will do it..

I once fixed a guys acoustic using a pencil and rubber bands.

Two years later he was still laughing about it.

I was lucky!

I think Stewmac may have a tutorial on this.. in their free info

Thanks Twang, no issues yet with playability or sound, but wanted a plan for when they develop. It' on a really nice 85 USA Ovation 1867 Legend I got a while ago for my wife.

Archived