Gibson Brands Forums

Genaral truss rod question

mrjones200x

I have a cheap aria acoustic guitar' date=' it dosnt have a truss rod. Is this normal for cheaper acoustics? Or does it have a rod but just not adjustable?

Thanks[/quote']

Assuming you checked the soundhole? Sometimes they have reinforcing strips glued in the neck, under the fretboard. It may even have a rod, but since it's a cheapy I don't expect either one. You could "adjust" bow or relief somewhat by changing to heavier or lighter string gauge.

Assuming you checked the soundhole? Sometimes they have reinforcing strips glued in the neck' date=' under the fretboard. It may even have a rod, but since it's a cheapy I don't expect either one. You could "adjust" bow or relief somewhat by changing to heavier or lighter string gauge. [/quote']

True ....but I caution you too much tension on a steel string with no truss rod is a recipie for disaster......Blam it'll fold up like a cheap suitcase. Sometimes you're better off flogging it off at a yard sale and putting the money towards a better guitar to be perfectly honest......might not even be worth a new set of strings. I've seen some really horrible acoustics that people bring in for a setup and new strings when the guitar is just not worth it.

I'm with Ricochet here... look in the sound hole... it won't be sticking out' date=' you may see a hole near the end of the neck (inside the body). most rod's use an Allen key[/quote']

Yeah if there is a truss rod certainly give it a try...but I've seen some pretty funky things done to guitars over the years like steel strings put on a classical guitar......How to rip the bridge off in one very fast lesson.....kinda humerous if it's not your guitar!

Yeah if there is a truss rod certainly give it a try...but I've seen some pretty funky things done to guitars over the years like steel strings put on a classical guitar......How to rip the bridge off in one very fast lesson.....kinda humerous if it's not your guitar!

Of coz there are steelstringed classical guitars' date=' but they are compensated in construction to handle the extra stringtension.

A friend of mine had a nylon classical. Equipped it with steel strings. Surprisingly the bridge held. But he ended up attaching a steel cable from the back of the headstock to the back of the heel to compensate the neck's uhm...relief. default_eusa_wall.gif Even more funny...the sound seemed to have improved!

yeah it has a truss rod can see from sound hole.

You learn something everyday hey!!!

Not really cheap was £100 Bout $200 you can now buy acoustics on ebay for £30!

Thanks

Be very careful and make sure that you loosed the adjuster before you tighten it to make sure it moves freely.

I've seen alot of broken truss rods, particularly in less expensive acoustics from people that just started "cranking " the adjuster ! Adjust play, let it sit for awhile, play, and re-adjust as required, always make small ie., 1/4 turn adjustments, re-check, is the best, and safest formula, IMO

Archived