Gibson Brands Forums

Valve Junior question

Hey guys, I'm new to the Epiphone forums!

I just ordered an Epiphone Valve Junior from a german webstore called Thomann.de. This is basically the largest music webshop in Europe as far as I know. Anyway, I was wondering if you guys know which version I'll be getting? I'm pretty certain I won't get the "v1"-version, but since the "v3" was released this April, it seems like a long-shot to get that one as well.

Could you guys fill me in on any info you've got? Technically, since Thomann is one of the largest retailers in Europe, they should have gotten the newest version by now... Well, thanks for your time anyway :-k

it should have a clear red power switch light. no I/O on it.

usually.

take off the back panel.. look at the top of the OT. it will say 5K if it's V3.

pull head out, it should have a black board, not green.

congrats.. cool amps!

TWANG

it should have a clear red power switch light. no I/O on it.

usually.

take off the back panel.. look at the top of the OT. it will say 5K if it's V3.

pull head out' date=' it should have a black board, not green.

congrats.. cool amps!

TWANG[/quote']

Alright, thanks! Are the v1 and v2-versions even being sold now that the v3 is released? Oh, and I don't know whether or not I'll be getting a v3 yet, since the site had a picture of a... v1, I think? But since it's a big retailer and all, I'm pretty sure that their stuff is up to date.

its been at least 2yrs since a ver1 has been sold and almost a year since they switched over from ver2 to ver3.

if you get a rev1 combo or a rev2 of anything then the dealer you had has old stock.

You should only get a ver3 now.

I thought that the v3-version came this April, or was that April last year? Well, in that case I'm pretty much guaranteed to get a v3.

Thanks for all the help guys! I'll be sure to give some personal opinions and views on it as soon as it arrives!

Welcome to the forum KIWI.

In addition to Twang's i.d. methods you can add: if the serial number is longer than 8 digits (my ver. 3 is 14 digits) then it's a version three -- no disassembly required.

Personally, if it's not a version 3, I would send it back!!! (Unless you bought it at a great bargain to mod and want to incur the added mod costs.) The difference in tone is substantial. You will probably want to upgrade the tubes on a ver. 3 (see other posts on this forum for advice/comments) but versions 1 & 2 leave most guys in need of mods.

Hit every BLUE NOTE baaaby..., I'm going to play on:-"

dimmy

is that from exorcist? remember the priests mom haunting him.. dimmy why did you leave me dimmy?

*G*

anyway. yah the head will be V3, too.. no problem. and the 12" speaker is way better all around..

So I just picked up the amp from our local postoffice, and it's a v3! :^o

This thing REALLY sounds great, I can't believe I payed such a low price for an amp that sounds this well... Can't wait until the speaker is fully broken in.

Thanks Twang. I didn't get 'dimmy' from The Exorcist.

So the way to recognise the V3 head is the I/O labels and the 16 digit serial number?

Is there a new version of the cab too??? =D>

Thanks

the speaker cab remains the same. eminence lady luck 12".

the combo is the same as the head! I think they got a better speaker there, though. used to be a weber copy I think.. now it's an eminence, too.

the speaker cab remains the same. eminence lady luck 12".

the combo is the same as the head! I think they got a better speaker there' date=' though. used to be a weber copy I think.. now it's an eminence, too.

[/quote']

Yep. The original combo had an 8 inch Webber, which sucked pretty bad. I modded up the combo V1 a bit, new output tranny, more filtering, DC filaments... just a little to get it "okay" and a stock V3 with cabinet sounded AWESOME in comparison. I was surprised when Twang got his combo and said it sounded just as good.

One thing with the speaker cab though, I did a little messing around, threw a Wah pedal in front, did some stuff to a custom amp I built to get a fatter low end... suddenly noticed that thing resonates with low A/E notes pretty damn good. Not noticeable unless you're listening for it though, I think.

So yeah, the V3 combo is surprisingly close to the head+cab.

Archived