Gibson Brands Forums

VJ at guitar center

Okay, so I was at guitar center wasting everyones time, and I saw a VJ half stack (version 3). I have never player one so I decided to try it out. I turn it on and plug in with an epiphone les paul standard. I was pretty satisfied up until 9 oclock, then it started distorting (id thought they started to break up at about 12). The distortion was really harsh, sounded almost like solid state, except that it cleaned up nicely with the roll of a volume knob. I was really disappointed with the sound quality and the COMPLETE loss of headroom. Right before 9 oclock is was great, but after that, it was just nasty distortion.

Was this a bad one or what?

While valve jr's(or any 5 watt tube amp for that matter) are not known for their clean headroom...thats still pretty early breakup. 11 or 12 is where most of mine start to distort but they are all modded with turretboards, hammond OT's and the like. I'd say try another one before you decide.

The other thing to note is that the Blackheart stays cleaner longer and with a pentode/ triode mode and a TMB tone stack it's more flexible right out of the box. I do think a modded valve jr has a better tone though.

that does seem a bit early for breakup.. and I've not run into a stock one that sounded at all SS distorting.

Even the ones I've screwed up!

but to be fair. it could be you. some people don't like single ended dist.

the character of this amp is widely variable with mods.. I don't know anyone from this group or others, and these are people with

lots of experience, who doesn't like the amp for what it can be.

But, I have heard people who didn't like it straight off.. and I think they're better off without it rather than attempting to make it something they will like.

I've hear sound clips of unmodded (even version 1) VJ, and they all sounded better than this.

Eracer, I had volume on 10, and tone was somewhere around 3-4 because it was just such a harsh tone. I normally on my amp have tone on 7, but I was expecting a nice warm sound, not a SS harsh.

Most likely a bad amp, just seeing what your thoughts were on it.

Archived