Gibson Brands Forums

Setup

seanalmet

You didn't say what gauge of strings you are using. 10-46 is pretty much the standard. It also depends on the strength of your hands.

Some well known guitarists us very heavy strings, and yet can bend as if they were playing light gauge.

Try experimenting. If you continue to have problems with very light gauge strings, you probably have a strength problem.

I don't do a lot of bending because everyone else does it. I am into jazz and light rock. My guitars are strung with 11-48 gauge.

Try the string route.

](*,) I wondered why his tone was so thin & tinny lol!!!!!!

I use 9's on my F****rish/ single coil guitars and 10's on my hollow body and Les Pauls. I probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference in tone if someone switched them up on me.

What size does Ygnwie use?

and WHO CARES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

instead of putting the string through the tail piece normally put them through the wrong way and then send the strings over the top of the tail piece and then to the bridge. Also when your putting the strings in the tuning bit instead of them wraping under make them go over. I know it sound stupid but it works i bend 11's like 9's. It has something to do with the angle the string knicks at the bridge and nut.

instead of putting the string through the tail piece normally put them through the wrong way and then send the strings over the top of the tail piece and then to the bridge. Also when your putting the strings in the tuning bit instead of them wraping under make them go over. I know it sound stupid but it works i bend 11's like 9's. It has something to do with the angle the string knicks at the bridge and nut.

Very interesting. Almost like a string-thru set up. In my mind I dont see how this would make the string bend better, but you've piqued my curiosity. I may try this next time I restring my G-310. No probs with bending here, but will try just to see what happens. I've done the backward tuning peg deal with no problems...mainly because I have a cruddy Johnson with even cruddier tuners on it and stringing them opposite keeps it in tune better.

If this doesnt work, you owe me a set of strings :P lol.

Yep, I understand how it works. String them through the bridge backwards, around and over to the stop bar. I may go to 9's though. My D'Addario 10's seem a bit stiff.

Seanalmet: Definately try lighter strings or a different brand. Like I said, my D'Addario 10's seem kind of stiff.

If you can't bend ANY 10's or 9's, you need lessons... like using two fingers on single notes. Get yourself any Guitar World - Andy Aledort instruction CD .... you'll see a master guitar player at work.

Wrapping over was supposed to lend toward more sustain by providing more 'surface resonation'.....it also does raise the string height a bit and the neck should be adjust acordingly I'd think.

Proper fret height and neck adjustment to the size string is necessary. Proper set up for style and play is necessary.

If all else fails, get a SG and have someone set it up with fingerless filed frets...LOL!...if that doesn't work, your using your palm to play...

Archived