Gibson Brands Forums

Screwing pickup to the body? How/why?

mrjones200x

Hey does it make a difference to sound or anything as sometimes you see some guitars with them on the pick guard some in a mounting ring and some screwed direct?

How would you mount one to a guitar that has a mounting ring as standard? Do you have to pack it out before hand so to get the pick up near to the strings.? Would you have to use a adjustable pole peice pickup if bolted to the body direct.

Just some general information on this would be nice.

EVH once said, Screwing the pickup to the body makes it more of one with its self

Thanks

Hey does it make a difference to sound or anything as sometimes you see some guitars with them on the pick guard some in a mounting ring and some screwed direct?

How would you mount one to a guitar that has a mounting ring as standard? Do you have to pack it out before hand so to get the pick up near to the strings.? Would you have to use a adjustable pole peice pickup if bolted to the body direct.

Just some general information on this would be nice.

EVH once said' date=' Screwing the pickup to the body makes it more of one with its self

Thanks[/quote']

Screwing into the body loses adjustably, but lowers price, and is more prone to feedback due to body vibrations.

Mounting rings or pickguard mounting make it easier to switch to later pickups, reduce modification to the body wood, and make the pickups more easily adjusted.

I did that to 2 SC pickups. One was screwed approximately at the correct height' date=' but had adjustable polepieces. And the other I measured the optimal distance to strings and made 2 wooden spacers to fit under the screws.

[img']http://www.euronet.nl/~wat/studio/pix/PRSbody.jpg[/img]

I mainly see it on exclusively priced guitars...:(

Yeah ...it requires much cleaner routing and finishing of the body cavity which is more expensive not less. The cheaper guitars usually have a big pickguard to cover up sloppy routing and anymanufacturing boo-boos

EVH once said' date=' Screwing the pickup to the body makes it more of one with its self

[/quote']

IMO, his point was to make a better, direct transmission from and to the bodywood's resonance. As opposed to a traditional "floating PU in ring" construction which is more prone to false resonances. Weak springs anyone?

I believe it, but haven't actually witnessed this effect myself.

Yeah but the pickup doesn't really give a flying f... about the body resonance. It's not a microphone, it's a pickup. If it isn't a vibrating bit of nickel it will not see it. This makes sense with respect to bridges and tailpieces, which transfer resonant effects to the strings, but as far as the pickup is concerned it's all the same.

Yeah but the pickup doesn't really give a flying f... about the body resonance. It's not a microphone' date=' it's a pickup. If it isn't a vibrating bit of nickel it will not see it. This makes sense with respect to bridges and tailpieces, which transfer resonant effects to the strings, but as far as the pickup is concerned it's all the same.[/quote']

Mostly true, but you can hold the strings and tap on the pickup and hear audio. Audio that vibrates the body will transfer back to the strings and activate the pickup. A certain amount of body resonance is a good thing and you can increase that by lowering the pickups to decrease the inductive component and factor some woody resonant tone into the mix.

That is one reason that silent tuning while the rest of the band is playing will make your tuner dance around a little bit. When you tune between songs while things are quieter, it's much more steady.

Mostly true' date=' but you can hold the strings and tap on the pickup and hear audio. Audio that vibrates the body will transfer back to the strings and activate the pickup.[/quote']

Well, yeah, if you physically tap on the pole pieces that's going to make a 'click'... and yes, I agree 100% with your second point, which is what I was trying to say, i.e. it has to go through the strings. This is why different guitars made of different woods sound different; the resonance of the body affects the vibration of the strings, damping some frequencies and reinforcing others; the pickups translate this vibration into an electrical signal which is an analogue of the physical waveform. I really doubt that bolting the pickup to the body is going to have a measurable effect, either positive or negative, on this process.

So it wouldnt make to much difference then in some opinions.

I am finishing off my kramer project soon and mr EVH screwed his to the body so i would like to copy it also. Only difference is i might be mounting a quad rail so wont have ajustable pole peices. Whats a good hight to set it at from the strings buy personal preferance?

Its a ply wood body so it aint gonna be the best clean sound so will use for heavy distorted halen stuff.

My LP is my real baby for tone!!

Yeah but the pickup doesn't really give a flying f... about the body resonance. It's not a microphone' date=' it's a pickup. If it isn't a vibrating bit of nickel it will not see it. [/quote']

FWIW. A pickup does have microphonic qualities irregardless(LOL) of it being properly waxpotted. Ever tried blowing or whistling in your pickup? Whether it's making much of a tonal difference, I'd have to agree with you it's probably not.

Whats a good hight to set it at from the strings buy personal preferance?

The way I do it. Press the last fret(probably the 22nd?) and adjust the pickup's height till the strings nearly hit the PU when struck. From there it's a couple of turns down. Go by ear. Adjust to what you like.

Archived