Gibson Brands Forums

Limited Editions

james_edward

I think of them more as being a limited run of a certain model or style without making any sort of long term commitment for continued production. This has gotten to be pretty much the way cameras are being built these days. The company makes an initial run of 50,000 of them, and then moves on to a new model. It keep the company from having its hands tied by specifications that it may very soon change, and it allows them to test the marketability of a guitar (or camera) without investing a lot into ensuring its long term future. With so much of the work being outsourced to the Far East rather than being built by luthiers in Kalamazoo, things are a lot more flexible.

I am looking into getting a Epi SG G400 in Alpine White, limited edition...later this month.

I talked to the GC guy I am buying it from, and he said there was no difference between this and the Heritage Cherry SG 400 other than the finish. The pickups and tuners are the same, I noticed.

Also, as for limited editions, I've noticed on Ebay that the Epi limited editions are being sold as collector's items (people appear to be getting $100-200 above the original price of the guitar).

Given that, the limited editions appear to be different and more interesting finishes, like the alpine white SG G 400 and the Epiphone Firebird STudios with sunburst finish. Check out some of the prices on Ebay for the Epi Firebird Vll's, which I believe are not being produced any more, but getting good prices on Ebay.

The LE finishes are cool, for the collector.

An LE can be anything from a guitar with a non-stock colour or a nonstandard top (flame maple or quilted maple instead of plain for example) to different hardware (gold plated instead of chrome) or a different tailpiece (e.g. Maestro vibrato)...

G400M.jpg

and sometimes it can be a completely non-standard model such as the Les Paul Special:

LPSP.jpg

Archived