Gibson Brands Forums

What is an Alnico hot humbucker ? Pliz explain...

vanessa

I looked at the Epiphone Les Paul Black Beauty and found in its specs that it had 3 pups : 2 Alnico Classic humbuckers and 1 Alnico Hot Humbucker . My questions are :

1) What are the differences between these 2 pups ?

2) where is the Alnico hot humbucker located ? (i.e. neck, bridge or middle ? )

Thanks....

A hot humbucker has more windings around the coils, which gives the pickup a higher output; i.e. a 'hotter' sound. I would guess that the hot pickup would be in the bridge position.

Alnico refers to the metal that the magnet in the pickup is made of...a combination of Aluminum, Nickel, and Cobalt.

A pickup's output is actually a function of two factors; number of coils (turns of wire) and magnet strength.

Essentially there are two types of magnet material used in pickups; the aforementioned Alnico and then there's ceramic magnets.

Ceramic magnets are less expensive and they also have a stronger magnetic field. You'll find ceramic magnets used in very high output pickups; examples would be the Gibson 496R and 500T pickups as used in Flying Vs, Explorers, and for some reason that escapes me, the Les Paul Classic. Because of their lower cost, Epiphone uses ceramic magnet pickups in their low-end guitars such as the Special II and the G-310. G&L uses ceramic magnets along with reduced windings in some of their pickups to get a reasonable output but without the filtering that excessive windings can cause.

Although weaker and more expensive, diehard guitar purists prefer the vintage tone of Alnico magnets. Note that Alnico also can be split into several subclasses; in the old days they used Alnico II but today you mostly see Alnico V.

Welcome to the forum Vanessa. This is a great place with more information than you'll probably know what to do with ' date=' great people and fun, and yes the hot HB would be in the bridge pup.[/quote']

=================

Thanks Funkwire, RotcanX and bluestringer ! I felt at home already ! I just bought a Epiphone Les Paul standard .. It sounds great on the Roland Cube-60 .

Being a tinker at heart, I am contemplating buying the Epiphone LesPaul 100 then change its pups ( open coil Alnico v humbucker 700T/650R) with genuine Gibson 57' classic humbuckers ( at around 80 $US a pop on the Net ) . What do you think ? I love to hear your comments . Thanks...

Best regards,

Vanessa, quite honestly I wouldn't put $160 worth of pickups into an LP100. If I were you I'd visit guitarfetish.com & get you some GFS pickups ($30-$35 apiece) to put in there. I have had real good luck with them (I've put several different one's in some of my guitars) & so have many of the folks here on the forum. The pickups are, in fact, very good and there are many different humbucker 'types' to choose from. The 'Vintage '59's' sound very close to the Gibson '57s.

I couldn't agree more with Tulsa ! The GFS are great IMHO' date=' I've always had good luck with them and they are alot more cost effective. You don't need to to spend that kind of $$$ on a LP-100 to have the same effect ![/quote']

================

Holly Molly ! What's a site and all these pups ... Thanks again bluestringer for your kind advices!

_Thanks for these great tips ! I'll keep them in mind ... BTW ' date=' their prices are unreally low for pups , all under 40 $ US ![/quote']

That's one of the best parts, but the best is that they are great sounding pups !

Archived