Gibson Brands Forums

Ultra II Nanomag issues

thedudeabides

Hey good people! Just wondering if anyone has any ideas about an issue I am experiencing or if they have experienced the same thing. I have had the Les Paul Ultra II for about a month but just recently noticed that the nanomag is not picking up upstrokes on the low E string. Its wierd because it picks up down strokes well but if I pick on the low E in an D U D U D U D fashion, only the down picks are going through my amp!!! This occurs through both jacks at all possible settings on the guitar knobs (volume, tone, gain, bass, treble). I am also experiencing the loose jack issue with the mono jack where moving around causes pops out of the amp, but I have a ghetto fix for that :) By the way the humbuckers are OK, bucking the hum as they should, but the nanomag issue has me slightly agitated especially when playing Ripple by GD where that low E upstroke is meant to be accented and really makes the lick.

I hope someone can help.

That is weird. About the only thing I've ever encountered like that is when you try to play octave harmonics on the fifth fret with the rhythm pickup selected... you can't hear 'em.

Just for the sake of diligence I would get somebody else to try the same thing to make sure it's not some weird technique issue... if you haven't already.

I can't possibly imagine that is something that will vary by player, but for the sake of diligence I will have a few friends try it. I know its a new product so the pool of people that could potentially be experiencing is small. Also, when the humbuckers and the nanomag are both on, the issue (although still present) is not as bad because the humbuckers do work fine so there is a chance that some owners may have the issue and not even know it. But since it is so wierd, in particular because the down picking works fine, I would have to assume that there is a good chance that I may alone on an island with this issue.

That is weird. About the only thing I've ever encountered like that is when you try to play octave harmonics on the fifth fret with the rhythm pickup selected... you can't hear 'em.

Just for the sake of diligence I would get somebody else to try the same thing to make sure it's not some weird technique issue... if you haven't already.

RotcanX, yes that is weird, but I had th same thing happen to me when I put noiseless pickups on my Fender

Telecaster a few years ago. I don't know if it was a wiring thing or what.:) I think the best thing we can recommend

to the guy is to get a hold of Gibson Service and tell them what's happening and see what they say and take it from

there.

I have an even "lamer" thing to try..but, the the case of an acoustic

pickup that was installed in my 12-string, it worked. Have you tapped

the pickup, itself? Especially the side you're having the problem with.

In the case of my 12-sting (under saddle) pickup, it wasn't picking up

the last pair (low E) of strings, but all the others sounded great. I

call the luthier, that installed it, and he told me, to just tap it, firmly but

not TOO hard, and see if that helped? I did...it's worked fine, ever since,

and that was 3 years ago. So...??? You might try that, first, if you haven't

already?

CB

Also, is there any "shorting" noise, or scratching, coming from turning or touching the controls,

for the Nanomag, on the back of the guitar. Does this problem happen when you're

standing, AND sitting...or just when standing? Was just wondering if that area could

be part (or all) of the problem? As if when you did the downstroke, your body hit

the control, differently, than with the up stroke? I know...this is "out there," but

I've had experiences, where the weirdest things, ended up be the cause, for

some electical problems that one wouldn't have dreamed of. So...???

CB

CB- I like it, the oldest repair technique for electronics in existence! I will try a light tap tap taparoo and see if that helps, thanks!

So far what I've noticed is that when I play standing up, the cutaway on the back of the guitar in tandom with how I hold the neck angles the bottom part of the back (where the nano controls are) away from body, so the controls do not move when I play. But, as I mentioned before I am experiencing the loose jack issue for the mono jack that a lot of people talk about in reviews you see on the typical guitar sites out there.

Snookel- I thought the same thing so we are both lame ](*,) Just by eyeballing it, I do noticed a minute difference where the string is centered in an upstrake vs downstroke, and since this thing is "nano" technology, that could be the difference. Because the binding of the fretboard surrounds the nanomag it really cannot be moved noticeably.

Updates-

The same thing (nano not picking up the upstrokes on the low E) was happening for other players so its not a technique issue.

As CB suggested, I tried a light tap and that did not work, but that in combination with Snookelputz idea led to something else to try! (a third contributer to this idea was derived from making wooden support beams "plum" at a Habitat fro Humanity build... so get out there and volunteer it might just help you!) So I won't recommend this but I had the stones to try it. With the guitar secure, I took the head of a nail and positioned it perpendicular to the binding surrounding the nanomag on the high E side. Then with great care I tapped the point of the nail with a hammer so the nano would move closer to the low E side (if thats possible... I wasn't sure because I honestly have no idea what's keeping it in place and how secure it is, also there wasn't a visible change) So all that carefully done, I plugged in gave another test. I found that the nanomag is picking up the ustrokes but noticeable quieter than the downstoke, so its an improvement! The problem diminished the higher up the neck you go but is never perfect. So if I fret a G or something on the low E and just do DUDUDUDUDU its Loud/Quiet/Loud/Quiet/Loud/Quiet/Loud/Quiet coming through the amp so I am still slightly perturbed!!! But that leads me to the conclusion that the nanomag is highly sensitive to where its positioned and that the issue could be resolved by moving it closer the low E, but then will it mess up the high E? I play with 10's, but maybe if I put on 11's that will also help, but then I may need to adjust the neck and intonation, so I might just deal with the annoyance by always playing with the humbuckers and the nano on at the same time, it would just be nice to have a perfect guitar!

thedudeabides, sorry to hear that! ;>( Was hoping a light tap or "something, would fix it!

What does "Gibson/Epiphone" have to say, about this?! Have you querried

them, at all? 'Cause that sure doesn't sound like something they'd want to

be happening! Especially, since you're not the only one this is happening to.

So, what SAY you, Epi?!!

CB

thedudeabides' date=' sorry to hear that! ;>( Was hoping a light tap or "something, would fix it!

What does "Gibson/Epiphone" have to say, about this?! Have you querried

them, at all? 'Cause that sure doesn't sound like something they'd want to

be happening! Especially, since you're not the only one this is happening to.

So, what SAY you, Epi?!!

CB[/quote']

Nothing...

The NanoMag runs the full width of a fretboard and it utilises 3 blade magnets. If there are any "range"-issues the pickup is probably at fault. I would suggest contacting Epiphone or your dealer.

Well, I went to a buddies house who has this Korg 40gig CDburner recording unit to record acoustic and electric at the same time just to explore possible sounds with the Ultra II. When I mentioned the problem and how I thought it was related to the upstroke on the low E vibrating centered just a hair outside the pickups range, he immediately asked if it happened on the down strokes for the high E. Sure enough it does!!! Although it is not nearly as evident as with the low E, but looking at the signal being picked up by the Korg you can clearly see that downstrokes on the high E and upstrokes on the low E are weaker than their counterparts. You do have to have amazing ears to notice this when strumming a G chord or something but when picking at the strings it drives me nuts!

If you have only had it for a month, I would return it. I had a different problem with a Gibby LP Studio. I emailed Gibson tech support and they were able and willing to help me.

I have an Ultra l and am very happy with it. I was thinking of getting an Ultra ll for the nano pickup. I tried one in the store and I wasn't impressed. I may give it another try as I have a nice Genz Benz acoustic amp. I will definitely check the nano while in the store to see if it is a common problem. If it is, off goes another email.

Hi. Ex Philly dude here. If I was in your shoes, I'd first try real hard to have the dealer

replace the guitar now, being that it's only a month old. But failing that, it'll have to be

sent to Gibson in Nashville. The store, hopefully, will assist with that. In my case, since

I purchased online, got a RMA number by calling Gibson CS on the phone and shipping

the guitar, at my expense, to Nashville. I received a new one a few weeks later.

Ron' date=' what store did you purchase from? I got mine off of ebay so I don't think it is covered.[/quote']

Mine was purchased new from Musician's Friend, an authorized Epiphone dealer. Thus,

it was covered by the factory warranty.

Does anyone know if you can buy the nanomag and replace it yourself? If so, where to buy?

It may be worth it if the price is right, I did get a deal on this so I might not mind replacing the nano myself as a project.

The story behind this purchase is quite interesting. I bid $450 on the guitar w/ HSC, hoping that no one wanted it... but sure enough someone bid over me. So I ended up buying a dot super with the flame maple sunburst top and block inlays on the fretboard at a good deal, nice looking guitar! Anyway, a few days later I get an email saying that I won the Les Paul Ultra II!!! Apparently, the guy who bid on top of me retracted his bid and that left m ethe highest bidder... $450 seemed reasonable considering they sell at 699 without the case.

So, as a conspiracy theorist on many topics, after I recieved the guitar I began to think that the guy who bid on top of is the owner looking to get a few more bucks.... what do you think??

Does anyone know if you can buy the nanomag and replace it yourself? If so' date=' where to buy?

[/quote']

The NanoMag technology is from Shadow, which is a German company I believe. Not sure if it's available as a OEM version tho.

So' date=' as a conspiracy theorist on many topics, after I recieved the guitar I began to think that the guy who bid on top of is the owner looking to get a few more bucks.... what do you think??[/quote']

You could be on to something. It's really easy with eBays automated bidding process. I often see items sold only to magically reappear a week later.

So' date=' as a conspiracy theorist on many topics, after I recieved the guitar I began to think that the guy who bid on top of is the owner looking to get a few more bucks.... what do you think??[/quote']

Shills have been around as long as auctions have existed.

Archived