Gibson Brands Forums

String Problems

OhioSlashFan

I recently replaced the factory strings on my Epi. Les Paul Sandard plus with Ernie Ball regular slinky's and when playing i notice that strings that i'm not strumming are vibrating to the point of irritation, especially the low E string. anyone else ever have this problem or have suggestions? Thanks

What you have described is probably feedback. How loud and how close are you to your amp? I use Regular Slinky's on most of my guitars. Only the Joe Pass does what your does but it is a big fat jazz box...love it.

If it didn't do it with your old strings, I am suprised it does it withe your new ones. Never thought of it as a string issue.

New strings (any brand) since they are "clean," and free of grime, finger oils, etc., will vibrate

more freely, at first. Muting, is essential, even when they've "broken in," to help conteract that

phenomenon. All stings do this, but it's especially noticable, with new ones. Once you get used

to palm muting, or finger muting (or both), it will become a "non-issue."

CB

Strings will vibrate due to harmonic overtones. On my nylon string acoustic this is cool and OK since there is no sustain, really, to worry about (the harmonics decay) and I love the ringing tones I get. On an electric this is a different matter, especially if you are turning up the gain because you want more sustain. As has been said, damping/muting the offending strings is the remedy, something I am still trying to work in my playing.

Archived