Gibson Brands Forums

good Tremolo for a G400?

Metalliklok

I love whammy bars and I need a good recommendation for a tremolo bridge that I can attach to my G400 and do dive bombs and upbends and such. As long as I get a template routing isn't a big issue for me. I was also wondering if this bridge would be any good or if anyone had some good experience with it:

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Shop_by_instrument/Electric_guitar_tremolos/1/Les_Trem_Stop-Tailpiece_Tremolos/Pictures.html#details

I would prefer to have the least routing necessary but if there's no way around I have no problem routing of course as long as i can find a template. Thank you very much for your time

I've looked at those kinds of bridges you linked too before. They're all pretty useless for anythign other than very, very sparse use. There's lots of reports of them reducing sustain greatly, many peopel seem to have tuning problems with them, and for me the biggest problem is, they can only go up or down roughly half a step (one fret). I don't have any use for full Eddie Van Halen style divebombs and such, but even the basic old Fender tremolo can do much more than these things can (and better).

The best options are either a Stetsbar, Bigsby, or have the guitar routed for a Floyd Rose. The Bigsby will be the cheapest and easiest to work with and retain the most of your guitar's oriignal tone and feel, but it's also got the most restricted movement - no divebombs with it. The Floyd Rose will have the most freedom, but it requires routing the guitar, and it sucks tone and can be a pain to use on a daily basis (even just tuning will take twice as long).

I think the very best option is a Stetsbar. It doesn't require any body modifications, tuning stability is good, it's easy to use, and it's movement range is somewhere between a traditional Fender tremolo and a Floyd Rose. The two downsides that Stetsbars have though is 1) they utterly kill sustain, and 2) they're really expensive (depending on if you get it in gold or chrome, it may even cost more than the rest of your whole guitar did!).

You may want to investigate a Kahler. I put one on a LP I built, and I'm pretty happy with it. It requires less routing than a Floyd, and the tuning stability (with a telflon-impregnated nut and locking clamp) is fine. It does hurt sustain a bit, but you'll get near Floyd-like range. I also like that you can adjust it to feel more like a Strat trem, which is nice for a subtle "waver" effect.

I have looked at the Les Trems several times. You will get about the same affect with it as a Bigsby, for about twice as much. They have gone up since I last looked, but then so has everything else. If you like to dive, this ain't for you. The up side is there is no drilling, just take your stop tail piece off and drop it on.

I don't know how much you want to drop into your guitar seeings how the G-400 is a $350 guitar. I dropped 3 bills on a Stetsbar for my '80 Gibson Les Paul, but I didn't want to do any drilling in it. It was well worth it as far as I am concerned, but I don't think I would put one on my G-400. I have one that I'm thinking about putting a B-50 on. The Stetsbar will dive about an octave, and raise the pitch just a little lower than an octave. No drilling required, just take off your bridge and tail piece and bolt it on.

You might want to checkput some of the other whammy bars that stewmac offers.

All Parts does sell the Maestro, like in my Avatar for $150. I do like the feel of the Maestro over the Bigsby, it is a littel stiffer and drops a litlle more than the Bigsby, but no diving.

http://www.allparts.com/store/tailpieces-tremolo-tailpieces,Category.asp

Khalers need about as much routing as putting in another humbucker.

But in a "T" shape.

YES you have to install a stringlock, unless you like instant detuning of all strings, wen using any guage higher than .009.

Locking tuners weren't made for the amount of tension changes a khaler puts out.

Get the retainer.

I have a Les Trem on one of my LP's and like it, though I admit to being new to guitar and am not into dive bombing. My Black Beauty will be getting a Bigsby eventually, though cost on that will be more them a Les Trem as I want the bigsby to match the hardware on the Black Beauty.. (les Trem was about 122, the gold colored bigsby I have been told about 200)

Archived