Gibson Brands Forums

Billy Gibbons signature?

The_Sentry

Hahaha....Does this guitar exist?

Would people buy it if it did exist?

This much I do know....currently, ZZ Top (and specifically Gibbons) are making some serious moves in order to make a comeback. Guitar World just completed a 2 part interview with Gibbons. And, on the news wires, Rick Rubin is tapped to produce their next album, and the intentions so far are to move away from the poppy synth stylings of their works post Eliminator and go back to an old school sound ala "La Grange".

As far as my personal opinion on Gibbons, and ZZ Top? Love their sound. Especially their older stuff. I can't think of too many people out there that managed to just craft that big, fat rock Gibson-y sound like BG did. As far as the definitive Les Paul tone, and who helped to define it in modern rock, I'd throw Gibbons right up there with Jimmy Page.

Pearly did sing.

So...with all that being said....do you think Gibson, or Epiphone should try to work with Gibbons on a signature model? Granted, he's a vintage nut and has about 10 zillion guitars, but when it comes to recording.....

he's right back there with Pearly.

So....if Epiphone or Gibson was to release a Billy Gibbons signature Les Paul, would you buy it or check it out?

Billy G. already has a co-signature model -- the Gretsch Billy Bo -- so will Epi/Gibson want to compete with that?

ZZ did one of the best blues rock shows back in the day before they went MTV snyth slick - and those fakey drum machine piddles makes me want to hurl.[-o< To bad too b/c Gibbon's pre-Eliminator riffs just burned the house down. But after fame and fortune came knocking..., well..., who cares? I might care again if, only if, I start hearing some La Grange intensity, passion, and tone from Billy's talented fingertips. Anyway, I already have all of the old ZZ tones I want with my EPIs -- LP Elite and VJr. V3 -- so, count me out on any Billy G signature hoopla.

Hit every BLUE NOTE baaaby..., I'm going to play on:-"

So....if Epiphone or Gibson was to release a Billy Gibbons signature Les Paul' date=' would you buy it or check it out?[/quote']

I never cared for signatures. Even from my biggest heroes, even when I could get them cheap. But I definitely would check a Gibbons Signature.

I never cared for signatures. Even from my biggest heroes' date=' even when I could get them cheap. But I definitely would check a Gibbons Signature.[/quote']

Why wait? Order that Elitist '59 goldtop (or LP standard) -- from a N.A. or Japanese online source for you in GB I understand -- and drop in the "Pearly Gates" pups. It'll be about as close as anything anyone will ever have to the real 'Pearly' anyway right?

BTW - How many times do you suppose that person has kicked him/herself for just leaving ol' Pearly under the bed where Billy is alleged to have 'found it'?

Billy G. already has a co-signature model -- the Gretch Billy Bo -- so will Epi/Gibson want to compete with that?

ZZ did one of the best blues rock shows back in the day before they went MTV snyth slick - and those fakey drum machine piddles makes me want to hurl.[-o< To bad too b/c Gibbon's pre-Eliminator riffs just burned the house down. But after fame and fortune came knocking...' date= well..., who cares? I might care again if, only if, I start hearing some La Grange intensity, passion, and tone from Billy's talented fingertips. Anyway, I already have all of the old ZZ tones I want with my EPIs -- LP Elite and VJr. V3 -- so, count me out on any Billy G signature hoopla.

Hmm....Well, I look at it this way: It's not like artists haven't changed endorsements before. And, Billy Bo guitar aside, he's still using that '59 LP for the albums.

Anyways...to be fair here's the source of my info: (and the story...)

ZZ Top hitches ride with Rick Rubin for comeback

NEW YORK (Billboard) - Texas rock trio ZZ Top has signed to producer Rick Rubin's American Recordings imprint, hoping for a commercial and critical revitalization along the lines of prior Rubin clients Johnny Cash and Neil Diamond.

The veteran rockers and the similarly hirsute Rubin plan to make an album more in keeping with the blues boogie of such tunes as 1973's "La Grange" than their pop-friendly '80s sound, according to manager Carl Stubner.

source for full article is at:

http://www.msplinks.com/MDFodHRwOi8vbmV3cy55YWhvby5jb20vcy9ubS8yMDA4MDcwMy9lbl9ubS96enRvcF9kYw==

I saw ZZ Top in concert on VH1 Classic this weekend. It was a fairly recent show. Billy played the Gretsch Billy Bo for most of the songs. It's white, with gold hardware, and hot-rod type pinstriping on the top of the guitar. Dusty played a P-bass body with a reverse headstock. The pickguard looked like it was made of wood and the bass had pinstriping as well.

Pretty good show, although they're still using sequencers and Frank Beard is playing a mix of real and electronic drums. It sounds like Billy has pretty much lost the top range of his voice...he sang the verses on 'Pearl Necklace', but Dusty had to step in on the 'She want a pearl neckalce/She want a pearl necklace...' part.

BTW - How many times do you suppose that person has kicked him/herself for just leaving ol' Pearly under the bed where Billy is alleged to have 'found it'?

From Guitar World (5/97):

Billy Gibbons' 1959 Les Paul ,"Pearly Gates," is the source of the Rev's heavenly sound. As a young musician weaned on blues and rock in southern Texas, Billy Gibbons' life was forever altered when he heard the sound of Eric Clapton's Les Paul and Marshall combination on the John Mayall and the Bluesbreakers album. Like a crusader in search of Holy Jerusalem, Gibbons set out eagerly on a quest for his first Les Paul. After stumbling across a few choice finds in the course of his search, including an original '58 Flying V, Gibbons finally found the guitar of his dreams several years later. Nicknamed "Pearly Gates" this '59 Les Pau fell in to Gibbons' hands through a series of strange circumstances and coincidences.

"In the early days of ZZ Top, we acquired an old thirties model Packard automobile," explains Gibbons. "That automobile served us well. It was huge, flashy and lowered, but not intentionally - it was just, plain old. Not long after we got the Packard, one of our girl friends decided to head to California to try out for a part in a movie. We gave her the Packard as a way to get there. Not only did she arrive, but she got the part. We named the automobile "Pearly Gates" because we thought it must have had divine connections."

According to Gibbons, the girlfriend sold the car to a collector and sent the money back to the band. Her timing couldn't have been better. "The very day that the money arrived a guy called me up wanting to sell an old guitar," says Gibbons. "It was a '59 Sunburst Les Paul. I bought the guitar and called the girlfriend to thank her for being so kind. She said, 'it looks like the car went for a good cause. Since the money that put the guitar in our lap came from selling the Packard, we'll lay claim to the name Pearly Gates. Now you can go make divine music.' Try as I may I haven't been able to find another guitar that sounds as heavenly."

Gibbons has played this brilliant burst on every ZZ Top album since their first, and its thick, sweet tones have confounded a bevy of guitar builders who have tried in vain to imitate its voice. The '59 Gibson Les Paul may be the one of the most desirable electric guitars, but Billy Gibbons 59 may be the most coveted Burst of all.

Billy G. is one of my favorites. For many years I've been accused of ripping off his tone by a great many people. I've always considered it a compliment although I swear I've never tried to do it nor do I know what I do that makes me sound like him.

Even in the one music clip I've put on the forum somebody commented that I sounded like him. I consider myself lucky, but I have no idea why & how I get that type of tone other than aggressive right hand picking.

Archived